What do your friends and family think?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom is completely grossed out, even more so with keeping fruit flies and house flies for food. She tried to talk me out of it for months but my dad thinks it's really neat, so eventually my dad and I won!

It was fun to read all the stories above me.

My hubby can't see what I love about mantids. He doesn't want to handle her.  But he let me be because it is my hobby. But he dont like my dubias i have for food. He hopes I will not come  home with a tarantula. :p

My parents in law doesn't mind seeing me sitting handling my mantis, But they think she is creepy.  But if I i ask them to take care of her while I am on vacation they dont mind I think. But i will need some explaning to do how to care for my mantis.

My father, brother and my niece think I am crazy to have a "walking stick" as pet. They have seen my mantis only from pics. They think insects are creepy. They don't get it why I have a mantis as pet and not a bird or hamster.

The only person who handled my mantis was my sister in law. So she could see her walk on her hand and she liked the way cochise walked with calmness.

Last edited by a moderator:
My family's nutty in general, and with having snakes in the house for 18 years and carnivorous plants for approaching 13 getting into mantids did not come as much of a shock. The biggest displeasure they have is that I have roaches to feed them with (or a mantid jumping on them if I should so orchestrate such a thing; only happened once to my sister but it was hilarious, and fully unintended), but mostly it's another cool, odd thing hiding in my room. Other people find it interesting, though the level of interest varies from willingness to hold to "I'll watch from Facebook."

Latest posts