What happened here?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Gex Files

Reaction score
I just found one of our Idolo's dead. He was hanging upside down, and i thought he was going through a rough molt, so i sprayed him, but he was already dead and fell down. I really have no clue what happened here. Have any of you seen this before?

idolo-2.jpg

I just had a similar experience. One of my Hierodulas started to molt to adult this evening. After a time he was still in the same position, and not out of his old skin completely. He could not pull out his forelegs. And there was a big blister-like thing where his eye should be. Against al rules I touched him, and he was dead. He was the one who had a small eye wound after his last molt, which hadn't affected him much. No idea what happened here, but I have one mantis less, unfortunately.

His last molt (to L7) was about 1 month ago, and not close to molding again, cause he was eating perfectly.

His abdomen was always black, from the beginning we got him.

That's why we liked this one the most. We got him at L3 and he was the only black one we had. Since L6 he was starting to get lighter in color, but still kept some darker color on some parts of his body. He was housed with 2 other Idolo's ( 1 xL7 and 1 x L6) in a 35x35x50 viv. They do not harm each other at all and get enough food.

I'm sorry that this happend to your favorite Idolo.

no idea what happend. I'm wondering if it is water related that may have turned out to then cause a bactireal infection effecting the molt?

Harry

sorry for your loss, Gex files. At first I thought our mantids (yours and mine) died to similar reasons. But mine clearly died to molting and exposing a huge open wound. Seems his eye wound hadn't healed since last molt. It all went too fast, and I just had come home to find him dead, so i did not take pictures.

He was just doing what Idolos do.......and that is mismolt. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the exoskeleton forming underneath before a molt didn't develop all the way and it abscessed, sorry for your loss. :(

Latest posts