what species are found in the wild in ct?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furrymanmarbles

Reaction score
I found a new buddy lol. There was a green mantis in a friends house and she almost squashed him but decided to call me and I scooped him up and got him all caught up on missed meals :) I'm wondering what species it could be tho giant Asian? Carolina? If anyone knows what kinds are in the ct area help me out.

Well, I'm gonna doubt that it is a giant asian mantis, and MUCH more likely that it is a chinese or a Stagmomantis species. Pictures would help

I'll have to load the ppictures onto my computer and then the forum I can't do it from the tablet.but its a simple green mantis just like the Asians iv had In the past. I figured there would only be one kind around here that's why I was just asking but I'll post pics tomorrow for you to see.

Tenodera. I suspect you have Tenodera, Stagmomantis, and maybe Mantis religiosa.

I'm pretty sure its tenodera sinensis by the head shape, the way it holds its abdomen, and the leg shape. Instar is harder maybe pre-subadult or one instal before (I've never had nymphs of this species). I think its male.

Last edited by a moderator:
He runs like heck and jumps at the camera so I can't really get a better picture.I was just wondering so I can get some of this species and stock my yard with ooths next spring.I am surrounded by woods and bushes and have a serious bug infestation so I think they will do fine

I am sure it is Tenodera. Look for a striped face.

Tenodera oohs are very readily available, you can sometimes even get them off amazon. they can hatch up to 200 nymphs each (usually around 100). However, very few survive. I have not found a single one since i've released a couple hundred nymphs.

Latest posts