What to do with Chinese nymphs/ooths?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelotbren

Reaction score
I have a male and a female T. Sinensis soon to molt to adult and I have been considering trying to mate them if they both molt successfully, but I am still undecided.  Based on what I saw in the dedicated caresheet, I can roughly expect 3-4 weeks until a mating attempt, another few weeks until the first ooth is laid, and then another 5 or so weeks for it to hatch.  That would put me at mid to late July for the first ooth to hatch.  Here in Michigan, would that be too late in the season for some of the nymphs to potentially be set free outside at some point?  I don't want to release them and not let them complete their natural life cycle of reaching adulthood and mating before winter hits...seems a bit unfair to them.  Not to mention there will be subsequent ooths laid as summer progresses.

The reason I ask is because while I am interested in trying my hand at raising nymphs, I don't want to keep them all, even in their naturally reduced numbers.  I would probably raise whoever survives up to a certain instar and try to get rid of most of them at some point, possibly keeping a few for myself.  Which brings me to my second question - is it hard to sell Chinese nymphs or ooths?  They are naturalized and common and so I wasn't sure if there was much of a market for them.  I've seen a few classifieds for them but of course I never see the outcome of if the seller found any takers on their nymphs and/or ooths or not.

So my questions are:

1) Would it be unfair or unnatural to release them into the wild in Michigan if they hatch towards the end of July?

2) Is it hard to sell Chinese nymphs or ooths, given that they are common?  Even adults for that matter.

Thanks everyone.  As I said, I'm still undecided on all this, just trying to figure out the logistics in advance...

@Jessie I am still undecided on breeding for the above reasons but if I do and you're still interested later this summer, I'll keep you in mind!

The male has been "preparing to molt" (or so I thought anyway) for a week now and every morning I got up expecting him to have molted, and every morning he was still just hanging there, unmolted.  Well, this morning, I finally woke up to find an almost completed successful molt to adult!  The wait was killing me, but I'm glad I caught the end of the molt this morning so I got to see the wings unfold and dry.

Next up is the female...

@Ocelotbren I know the feeling, I was out of town when Bugsey my now adult praying mantis molted. Sadly his wings didn't come out right leaving him unable to fly. But he's my special baby so it doesn't matter.

Latest posts