Why wont he eat?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToffeeCoo

Reaction score
Hey everyone, me and the boyfriend recently obtained 3 mantids that flew into the house - 2 grown females and 1 male (we're guessing he's full grown, judging by the ratio of other male/female comparisons).

The male wont eat, before we knew full grown males were substantially smaller then the females, we thought maybe he just hadn't taught himself how to hunt properly yet/was too young. I read not to feed the mantids so they learn how to hunt on their own, but he doent seem capable or bothered to catch anything on his own. We bought a bag of crickets and dumped them into the cage figuring moths were too tough a catch, but he just hung out along side them (literally!). The females had a feel day however and are quite bloated. Is this typical male behaviour?

Welcome.

Males don't eat as often as females. They also eat smaller food in general. Maybe he just isn't hungry?

Also, mantids know how to catch food from birth or otherwise they would die.

Males are not big eaters as Rick indicated, but you should not have the crickets left in with them, they also eat mantis, only give them what you want them to eat each day, two 1/2" crickets for each female is plenty each day, don't forget to give them a drink;)

No doubt don't leave those crickets with him, they are nasty little critters that eat anything. I am curious as to what size housing you have your male mantid in. I have found males really like house flies and moths. As well they do better in smaller uncluttered housings 8" x 8" x 8".

The following message is based solely on my personal experiences and is not intended either directly or indirectly as a "guide" for feeding mantids or housing male mantids. My experiences are limited to M.Religiosa Mantids, as such, certain aspect may or may not apply to other species of mantid, this message is for the sole purpose in assisting a fellow forum member with questions on feeding.

There were about 25 crickets in either cage, they didnt seem to bother the mantids and lasted about a week (the female ate most of hers and all the ones small enough in the male cage escaped (to our dismay), larger ones went uneaten. We bought the crickets because all we're able to catch ourselves are moths- with an occasional variation of flying insect and read they should be fed a more varied diet :x should we buy less crickets next time or no crickets at all? How do we catch more insects for the picky eater? - We sprtiz the cages every morning with water to leave dewmist for them to nom on :3

Our mantids rarely move from the top of the cage, even though there's plenty of sticks to crawl on. The females are in: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752730 L 14.5"x8.6"x9.6" and the male is currently in a temp house 12"x6"x4" (snap shut knickknack box we've drilled a couple holes into).

Last edited by a moderator:
There were about 25 crickets in either cage, they didnt seem to bother the mantids and lasted about a week (the female ate most of hers and all the ones small enough in the male cage escaped (to our dismay), larger ones went uneaten. We bought the crickets because all we're able to catch ourselves are moths- with an occasional variation of flying insect and read they should be fed a more varied diet :x should we buy less crickets next time or no crickets at all? How do we catch more insects for the picky eater? - We sprtiz the cages every morning with water to leave dewmist for them to nom on :3

Our mantids rarely move from the top of the cage, even though there's plenty of sticks to crawl on. The females are in: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752730 L 14.5"x8.6"x9.6" and the male is currently in a temp house 12"x6"x4" (snap shut knickknack box we've drilled a couple holes into).
Hanging upside down all day is what Mantids do, so that is perfectly normal. Because your housing tapers down at an angle you can cut a stick so it rest about 2" below the top of the lid stretching from corner to corner without needing any support. That and maybe 1 stick at a 45 degree angle that leads up to the other stick is all you need. Females will get large, as they do they become clumsy and fall. Too many sticks and you run the risk of them gettng trapped. If that happens and there are crickets, the crickets will eat them.

Mantids enjoy hanging upside down so a branch from corner to corner will keep them off the lid and give the females a place to lay their ooth.

All Mantids love to eat flying insects, especially the males. Males will do just fine on house flies or moths, mine could care less about crickets.

Place no more than 2 crickets in with your females and do not add any more until those 2 have been eaten. As well, toss some small (dime size) pieces of lettuce in for the crickets to munch on. The crickets you are storing can be fed a mixture of dry cat/dog food and lettuce. This is called gut loading and will keep them nice and full of nutrients for your mantids while purging them of any cheapo food. If you don't feed them you quickly see them eat each other.

I generally don't keep any sticks in with the males. Males, unlike females are pathetic hunters and more opportunists. So you have to make it easy for them, take out any sticks and put a couple of moths in with him.

Speaking in general, females don't require daily misting as they gain fluids from eating, but males do need misting daily. As well, if you have a house plant don't be afraid to your females out one at a time for an hour or two. You can do this with your male, but make sure you are in a closed off room with standard 8 ft ceilings since the males can fly.

You may want to think about mating your male with your females in the next couple of days. Your male will be dying shortly and this will ensure your females lay fertile ooths.

Would love to see some pics and know where you are located.

The following message is based solely on my personal experiences and is not intended either directly or indirectly as a "guide" for feeding mantids or housing male mantids. My experiences are limited to M.Religiosa Mantids, as such, certain aspect may or may not apply to other species of mantid, this message is for the sole purpose in assisting a fellow forum member with questions on feeding and housings.

Because the males eat so little, it is possible that with so many in the cage with him he did eat one or two but you didn't see it.

But I've had to keep our males in jars or the small critter keepers to make sure their food is close enough to them to bother eating.

Thanks Idaho, that was all very informative! Unfortunately we just noticed he has a leg missing, we can't recall if that happened when we found him or after we transfered him to the temp housing. Will this hinder mating? Originally when we caught the newer female we put them in the same cage once we had fed her a couple moths. They didnt go near each other for a while and when they did she grabbed him and required rescuing (unsure if he lost his leg during this). She's definitely more active than the other female, we could try putting him in the calm one's cage if he's fit enough for mating. If not, or if the other one puts him in a death lock as well, what do you recommend doing?

Will post some pics tomorrow when there's light out, the females are really pretty <3! I'm located in Los Angeles, CA.

As well, if you have a house plant don't be afraid to your females out one at a time for an hour or two. You can do this with your male, but make sure you are in a closed off room with standard 8 ft ceilings since the males can fly.
Is this a way to begin taming a mantis? (We dont handle them much- afraid they may hop/fly away into a number of dangers (we have a large room with a clutter of desks and furniture, it'd be very easy for them to get lost and/or feasted upon by our cat.)

Well, you did get a lot of good information, didn't you? It is easier for the male to escape during or after mating or for you to "rescue" him if he is on a plant out in the open. Usually (not always, of course!) male mantids end up on the ceiling if they fly away and should be safe and easy to spot.

But you can't tame a mantis any more than you can tame a wasp or a beetle. They have very tiny brains, and what they have is not interested in you one bit! A lot of folks here have a great time interacting with their mantids, showing them to the kids and putting them by the computer screen. I'm not going to change anyone's mind on this and don't want to try, but every time that you "play" with a mantis you risk stressing and injuring it, so if you are able to enjoy your mantids without handling them much, that might be a good way to go.

If you haven't already be sure to read the pinned topic by Rick for how to mate mantids I don't have a female to mate yet but it sounds like a pretty good technique. And definitely watch your cat I have one too and he is always trying to come check out the moths and things flying around in my mantid homes, already had a couple close calls. You can't forget they actually do have catlike reflexes. :lol:

Thanks Idaho, that was all very informative! Unfortunately we just noticed he has a leg missing, we can't recall if that happened when we found him or after we transfered him to the temp housing. Will this hinder mating? Originally when we caught the newer female we put them in the same cage once we had fed her a couple moths. They didnt go near each other for a while and when they did she grabbed him and required rescuing (unsure if he lost his leg during this). She's definitely more active than the other female, we could try putting him in the calm one's cage if he's fit enough for mating. If not, or if the other one puts him in a death lock as well, what do you recommend doing?

Will post some pics tomorrow when there's light out, the females are really pretty <3! I'm located in Los Angeles, CA.

Is this a way to begin taming a mantis? (We dont handle them much- afraid they may hop/fly away into a number of dangers (we have a large room with a clutter of desks and furniture, it'd be very easy for them to get lost and/or feasted upon by our cat.)
As for the missing leg, 5 out of 6 will get the job done for mating. Target sells a 3 pack of 6 x 6 x 8 tupperware containers for a $1.97. No need for sticks or anything inside the housing as the male will more than likely hang from the lid all day. Poke a couple of holes on the sides, not so much for air, but ventilation which is always a good thing. Make sure to keep the holes small enough so that any feeders (flies & moths) can't escape. You want a keep a male fed, give it flies or moths, just don't be surprised if they skip a day of feeding. Males do need water daily just spray a little on the side of his housing and he'll be fine.

Although there are some species of Mantids that can live communally most do not and will eat each other. Such is the case with any wild species from SoCal, so keep them separated.

Mating is easy, since you say you have a lot of boxes (paper box 11 x 17) they will work fine for mating. Simply place something (candle holder/ plastic cup) in the middle so the female can climb on it for mating.

If you just stick the male in with the female in a confined housing, she will most likely eat him and you won't have a chance to mate the 2nd female. I guess there is no guarantee the male will survive but I have mated mantids 8 times and never lost a male.

Stick the box in the bathtub or bathroom in case the males flies off he won't go far.

I agree with Phil, the more you handle your mantids increases the chances of doing them harm. It could be a chemical transfer from surfaces or prying them off surfaces as their feet act like hooks. There have to be known ground rules to handling them safely.

That being said, I handle mine daily along with my kids. As long as your hands are clean, free of any soap and the cat is put away, take a female out and watch TV together. As her belly starts to fatten up, go outside and let her purch on your hand and feel the breeze blow her antennae back.

All you really need to do is make sure that you never try and pry her off anything. It might take awhile for her to release a grip on something, but that's just a patience factor. Taming might not be the best descriptor for mantids, but establishing a trust factor and learning to become comfortable handling them is the closest to "taming" that anybody can get.

Now, if I had a lot of money invested in an exotic breed of mantid, I too would probably avoid handling as much as possible. But for wild mantids, let's be real, you are giving them a custom housing, food, water, and protection from elements that increase their mortality ten-fold. So handling them, for me personally is an acceptable practice and if they die due to it...oh well!

So far it's never been an issue and my kids love holding them while doing their homework or watching TV.

(standard disclaimer applies)

Latest posts