Your Top 3 Mantid Species of 2011?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunarstorm

Reaction score
What are your top 3 species that you've kept in 2011? Of course, we dig all of our mantids but here's your chance to highlight a few different species. Please keep your answers strictly to species you've owned this year and if you're inclined, briefly tell us why it made your list.

Mine:

3. Idolomantis diabolica. Cheers and thanks go to those who've had success breeding this species in the U.S. this year! It's great that lots of people are able to experience this amazing mantis, even those completely new to the hobby (like me!)

2. Oxyopsis gracilis. I inherited several female L4s and raised them to adulthood. It's easy to grin at a mantis that stalks and dives face first after its prey, Oxys are great eaters from nymph to adulthood. Add to that they're gorgeous (visitors often remark "the red and green ones are sure neat!"), easy to care for, they're reportedly communal (I didn't personally test this) and they're so much fun I'm surprised they're not more popular.

1. Hierodula parviceps. My first mantis and I'm glad to say she's still around. She's big, super calm when handled and a great eater. She also recently laid a large and beautiful ooth but was never paired with a male so I doubt the ooth is viable. Sadly, as far as I know, this species is about to fade out of the U.S. culture. I'd be thrilled to hear that's not the case and that one of you have a breeding pair, fresh nymphs, ooths, etc.!

An honorable mention goes to Gongylus gongylodes. :) I have several Violin nymphs in a netcube which earn the "most fun to watch" award.

I shall save the best for last

3: stagmomantis californica- not my most successful endeavor, but it was fun to finally keep some stagmomantis and it taught me to be patient with ooths and always keep fruitflies on hand, I miss them, if I could, I would keep them over again

2: pseudoharpax virescens- these small cutseys were hard for me to get the hang of, I got 2 ooths that I didnt think would hatch, but they did and the 6th time I attempted this species, I got it right

1: popa spurca- these stick mimics were the most fun species I kept this year, always enjoyed watching them molt and eat and warp themselves on a stick and blend in perfectly, this species has an ability to get me through any ###### that life throws at me, not a species I regret keeping by any means, and they love peeps, they give u the cutest looks

Next year the main species will be:

Blepharopsis mendica

Hierodula multispina

Creobroter pictipennis

1. Texas unicorn. i love these guys so much they have the best personality's.

2. Creobroter gematus. these guys have the best color.

3. Popa spurca. these guys have the best camouflage.

Haha all of my mantids are from 2011, so it will be easy.. I think I've only kept six species so far, but I definitely have favorites. Believe it or not, diabolica doesn't make the top three list for me (though she is doing well). She's a picky, sassy diva.

3. Polyspilota aeruginosa- I have the two color variations, and sometimes the tan sort have very rosy, pink eyes, which is pretty endearing. They're super gentle and great eaters. They're pretty hefty, so they're nice to handle without fear of losing them. They just have a cute little face. I like taking their photos.

2. Oxyopsis gracilis- I have some L3/L4 nymphs right now, and every time I pick them up, they just melt my heart they're so adorable! They're really small but not too small to handle. Their little triangle heads are super cute. They turn their heads all around, every which way looking all over the room. Everything about them is super cute and the nymphs have such nice color variations.

1. Blepharopsis mendica- I never found a girlfriend for my Zorak buddy. Poor guy. I don't know why more folks don't keep these. They're aggressive eaters, and they're all spiky, and have those cool, evil-looking eyes. And the antennae on the males are bad***.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Oxyopsis gracilis. I inherited several female L4s and raised them to adulthood. It's easy to grin at a mantis that stalks and dives face first after its prey, Oxys are great eaters from nymph to adulthood. Add to that they're gorgeous (visitors often remark "the red and green ones are sure neat!"), easy to care for, they're reportedly communal (I didn't personally test this) and they're so much fun I'm surprised they're not more popular.
They do make me grin. I keep mine communally with no problems. Sometimes they get sassy with each other. They're hilarious.

This is tough. I've had 15 different species this year (my first full year with mantids). Some I got just to photograph. Others I got to enjoy and breed.

3. Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid mantis) - It was really hard for me to choose between the Orchid and Idolomantis diabolica. They are two of my favorite species. I chose the Orchid because it is so beautiful.

2. Blepharopsis mendica (Thistle mantis) - These are another nice looking species. I had to put this one on my list because I'm happy with the success I had breeding them. My third ooth hatched today!

1. Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii - These were my favorite nymphs of 2011. I love their personalities. They are nice looking adults, too. I hope to have nymphs in 2012.

This has definitely been the year of the Idolo, thanks to Nick (angelofdeathz), aka "The Idolo King."

Thanks,.Nick, for giving so many of us the opportunity to own the species!

Although I am yet to own ghosts this year, these are my three and only mantis species.

3. sphodromantis sp. "Blue Flash"- (at the moment) small and quite ferocious, although a bit spoiled

2. tenodera aridifolia sinensis "Chinese Mantis"- my first mantis species, Orion (the bug) and I were like father and son (the only real legal way for a kid my age to have a kid)

1. phyllocrania paradoxa "Ghost Mantis"- Still waiting to get one for Christmas, but I know that it will be a true favorite.

1) Idolomantis diabolica

2) Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii

3) Blepharopsis mendica.

I got all three species from Frey as did all of the Americans who sold Idolos. She single handedly introduced this species into culture in this country.

Thanks,.Frey, for giving so many of us the opportunity to own these species!

Hymenopus coronatis

Phyllocrania paradoxa

Acanthops sp.

The only 3 species I've been able to work with yet. My Creo ooths haven't hatched yet, and my spiny flower ooth hasn't arrived yet

3- Sphodromantis sp. Blue Flash: Lively and breed like wildfire

2- Hierodula majuscula: Amazing coloration! Very friendly

1- Idolomantis diabolica: All around amazing mantis!!

They just require certain gripping surfaces and a lot of heat. If you can supply this then you are ok
ughh. where to start. they are a lot harder than that to raise and breed! the hardest mantid to raise in the hobby in my mind!

ughh. where to start. they are a lot harder than that to raise and breed! the hardest mantid to raise in the hobby in my mind!
+1

At one point Yen reported a ~60% success rate at getting an idolo nymph to adulthood. If someone like Yen (with years of experience with many different species) reports that success rate, what does that tell you?