How I build my light trap

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few members interested in how to build a light trap so here is the way I have done it. There was a detailed description for each part of the structure in my own blog (written up about 2 weeks ago) so i am not going into detail.

Bought most of the set up from a hardware shop. You can basically get every part of the structure from Home Depo or Lowes if you livev in the USA.

Basic structure part

- 2 x 1-¼” 5-way cross

- 3 x 1” x 10’ sch.40 PVC pipe

- 6 x 1” sch.40 90D elbows

- 2 x 1-¼” x 3’ PVC sch.40

- 6 x 1” PVC sch.40 coupling

- 2 x threaded hex bolts and nuts

- 2 x threaded metal handle (Hook) + nuts

- 4 x hook bolts and nuts

- 6 x bungee cords (around 24"-30” long)

- 1 x hex bolt + 2 flat washers + bolt + metal cup

- 2 x wooden broom

- 2 x 5’ x 5’ white color fabrics

Electrical part

- Mercury vapor

- white blacklight + light fixture

- generator

Step 1: 1-¼” 5-way cross with three 1” PVC sch.40 coupling

setup3.jpg

Step 2: Connect 1-¼” x 3’ PVC sch.40 to the part in Step 1

5wayx1qw1cp1.jpg

5xw1qp.jpg

Step 3: Cut all three 1” x 10’ sch.40 PVC pipe into half (you can request the hardware store to do it for a small fee), then cut another two 5' pieces into half (So you get four x 2.5' PVC 1" pipe). Drill a hole in the centr of each 2.5' pipe. Connect each 1” sch.40 90D elbows to the 2.5' pipe which formed one of the four legs.

5f1pweb.jpg

Step 4: Connect two of the legs assembled in Step 3 to the the part from Step 2.

1side1.jpg

Step 5: Repeat Step 4 again to duplicate all four legs

2side1.jpg

Step 6: Both parts in Step 5 now connected by one 1" x 5' pipe previously cut in Step 3 to form a bridge.

2sidewbdg.jpg

Step 7: Slide the two 1" x 5' pipe into the 1-¼” x 3’ pipe to form two vertical stands

1pinto1qp.jpg

1pinto1qp1.jpg

2stand.jpg

See next page..... boy i am making this into a manual :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Step 8: Building the top horizontal pipe. Drill 5 holes on the 1" x 5' pipe. Two of the holes on the farthest is for the threaded metal handle (Hook) - for hanging th broom stick, another two holes for the threaded hex bolts and nuts - for hanging the light fixture, and the center hole for hex bolt and 2 flat washers - to secure the cup for holding mercury vapor light.

top1.jpg

top1s.jpg

handle1.jpg

top1c.jpg

top1ctop.jpg

Step 9: Put two 1” elbows on each end of the part built in Step 8 and formed the top horizontal bar for the structure

c1.jpg

Step 10: Hang the white fabrics sheet (with wooden brooms on top and bottom of the sheet) to the part in Step 9

c2.jpg

slide the bottom wooden broom stick underneath the pipe

bot1.jpg

Step 11: Connect the hook bolts and nuts on the hole on each leg

eyebolt1.jpg

eyebolt2.jpg

sidewhook.jpg

Step 12: Hook the bungee cord from the vertical stands to the hook bolt assembled in Step 11

sidewbggy.jpg

Tada... the basic structure is completed :)

c3.jpg

It cost me less than $60 for the basic structure.

Now move on to the electrical part, the expensive part i guess, but it is really not bad.

White blacklight with fixture - $10.95 for the light bulb and $9.90 for the fixture

light1.jpg

Mercury vapor light - the non-self ballasted one can cost hundreds, but the self ballasted one only cost me $19.90. THe catch is that you might need a rain shield or it may break when come in contact with rain water.

mercuryvapor.jpg

mercuryvaporlight1.jpg

Generator - Remember we are powering only blacklight and mercury vapor lights so a massive generator costing $700 or more is not necessary. I bought a 1200 Watt generator which not only cost me $120 but is light weight (about 40 lbs) and small. It is also useful to get a measurement aid (for gasoline run generator) and a small cart to carry the generator, afterall it is still heavy to move around.

gen1.jpg

oil1.jpg

By the way, you can read more about it from my blog here

http://texasmantis.blogspot.com/2009/04/bu...p-for-bugs.html

Thanks man!

This is how it look on "site"

IMG_0202.jpg

I took this one from my blog

setupwithtext.jpg

Some of the pics when shopping for the materials. My friend David was kind enough to help me drill some holes.

setup2.jpg

setup4.jpg

setup6.jpg

setup7.jpg

setup10.jpg

setup9.jpg

setup14.jpg

It was fun building one, it doesn't take long to set it up and dissemble it too. ANyone interested in buying the structure from me for $100 ;) :p nah.... go build one that's the real fun of it.

I loved the guide and the pictures, Yen! :) Great tutorial!! I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much money, time, and effort into building one just yet... :p But I know how I'll do it, if and when I ever do!! ;) I really like the idea however.

I'm thinking about, and excited to try, the car lights and white sheet assembly for a trial go! :D :lol: Will likely have to wait a couple of weeks, maybe more, for the weather to get nicer to attract much. Will post my results when I do! ;)

I was really surprised at how well this atracts bugs, Ive been using just my back porch light to catch bugs for a long time so I figured it would be about the same but you can tell a big difference in how well there atracted to the special types of bulbs. Its defenetly worth building one if you like bugs, everytime we set it up we always have a good time and we get to see some cool bugs :D

:p gotta have a friend to wanna catch bugs though, very few people I know into them,,, woossieess! But one good thing Yen, I see my chair in your room! thanks. Love the tutorial too!

I'm surprised your wife didn't beat you up for setting it up in the living room :p I know I'd get the ol' smack down for such a thing. :lol:

Yen, you said the cup was for the MV lamp however in some of the pics I don't see the cup. Can you clarify?

Years ago, Yen, we used to drive out to some rural spot, hang a bed sheet from a convenient branch and shine the car's headlights on the sheet. It worked pretty well (insects were less sophisticated back then) but your setup is much niftier! Thanks for sharing!

Years ago, Yen, we used to drive out to some rural spot, hang a bed sheet from a convenient branch and shine the car's headlights on the sheet. It worked pretty well (insects were less sophisticated back then) but your setup is much niftier! Thanks for sharing!
That's the EXACT scenario I was thinking of doing!!! :lol: Hmmm... come to think of it, I wouldn't describe myself as overly sophisticated either! :p

I usually keep it much simpler, but I'm impressed by your construction. A good alternative in forest-free habitats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts