How I build my light trap

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yen, you said the cup was for the MV lamp however in some of the pics I don't see the cup. Can you clarify?
The cup was to hold the light in place but it didnt work to well, it broke last time we used it so we had to hang the light. I was thinking that one of those clamps for lights like on some heat lamps would work to hold the light on top.

wow there are more people interested with the bug trap now i have more question/pm from it than mantis :D wasn't expected that. maybe if i put this on the talent contest I may get a vote from you ? ;)

Something i forgot to add is that besides the bug trap, it is also good to bring some flash light (never know when the generator will run out of gas) unless you have a reliable source of electricity, bring in a camp chair too, some containers for bugs, couple of bottle drink, pizza, pop-corn, portable TV, ice cream..... sorry i wasn't serious you could skip the last 4 items ;)

I loved the guide and the pictures, Yen! Great tutorial!! I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much money, time, and effort into building one just yet... But I know how I'll do it, if and when I ever do!! I really like the idea however. I'm thinking about, and excited to try, the car lights and white sheet assembly for a trial go! Will likely have to wait a couple of weeks, maybe more, for the weather to get nicer to attract much. Will post my results when I do!
Thanks Becky. I have tried using car's head light (set on high light) on white sheet of cloth. In area densely populated by bug yuo will manage to get some still althoguh it is not the best light.

I was really surprised at how well this atracts bugs, Ive been using just my back porch light to catch bugs for a long time so I figured it would be about the same but you can tell a big difference in how well there atracted to the special types of bulbs. Its defenetly worth building one if you like bugs, everytime we set it up we always have a good time and we get to see some cool bugs
Your backyard is a bug heaven Dustin :D it would work even better if there are less street light or other lights around residential area. later in the Summer, i am shure the sheet will be cover with bugs, especially during new moon and if there is a balckout in Brookshire! :blink:

that's awesome!
Thanks wuwu. Glad to see you back in the forum again after 2 yrs absence.

Awesome write up Yen.
Thanks Rick!

:p gotta have a friend to wanna catch bugs though, very few people I know into them,,, woossieess! But one good thing Yen, I see my chair in your room! thanks. Love the tutorial too!
Becky i really think you should have turn you hubby into a bug hobbyist by now! :D

I'm surprised your wife didn't beat you up for setting it up in the living room I know I'd get the ol' smack down for such a thing.
That's because I am not in the family room where she OWN it with all the good stuffs there. Only my Pekingese is interested with my set-up :blink:

Great job!
Thanks Luke! looking forward to see you soon. Hopefuly next month.

Yen, you said the cup was for the MV lamp however in some of the pics I don't see the cup. Can you clarify?
As Dustin mentioned, the cup broke when i set up the bug trap during night hunt last week. those set-up photos above were taken a while ago when I built my new set-up. I used metal cup before it works fine. A clamp as Dustin said should work well, i need to look for one soon.

Years ago, Yen, we used to drive out to some rural spot, hang a bed sheet from a convenient branch and shine the car's headlights on the sheet. It worked pretty well (insects were less sophisticated back then) but your setup is much niftier! Thanks for sharing!
Phil, wouldn't the insects be more sophisticated back then? :D i lived with my grandma for a year in rubber tree plantation when i was 12, there's no way i could see those interesting bugs back then again if i visit the same place today. I tried car headlight too, and even ran out of battery once! :lol:

I usually keep it much simpler, but I'm impressed by your construction. A good alternative in forest-free habitats.
Thanks Christian. Actually it works well without the structure too if you are in dense jungle, just lay the white sheet on the grass and have the blacklight as weight and shine on the white sheet. Less effective on moth but plenty of creepy crawlies will join the "party" on the sheet.

Ur post was so helpful!!!!! Now i will be able to get a supply of mantises!!!!
Well glad it helps!

The cup was to hold the light in place but it didnt work to well, it broke last time we used it so we had to hang the light. I was thinking that one of those clamps for lights like on some heat lamps would work to hold the light on top.
Thanks Dustin for the clamp idea. Please let me know if you see one available too that can clmap on 1" pipe.

Yen, you are a great contributor to this forum...for taking the time to photo-document the things that you are doing, and sharing with us all in so many ways.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. :)

Great work mate :D

I will bring the idea up at the next M.E.G meeting, see if I can organise a extension cable from the school save on needig a generator ;)

Yen, you are a great contributor to this forum...for taking the time to photo-document the things that you are doing, and sharing with us all in so many ways.Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. :)
Hey Kamakiri the pleasure is all mine, building stuff for bug trap is fun for me :)

There is another type of bug trap for catching beetles. We used it here in Texas to catch long horn beetles but you can find all kind of bugs attracted such as butterfly, wasps, beetles, bees, etc

It is made by piercing a plastic plate, a gallon jar, and a plastic cup together using a cloth hanger. Put some fruits like bananas inside the cup and some brown sugar at the bottom of gallon jar, hang on the trees for a week and come back to pick up the bug. Just don't add too much brown sugar water sometimes bugs drown inside there.

trap1.jpg

trap2.jpg

Great work mate :D I will bring the idea up at the next M.E.G meeting, see if I can organise a extension cable from the school save on needig a generator ;)
We used about 250' of extension cable to power the lights too at Dustin's house. That way we never worry about generator running out of fuel. Another way to do it without generator is power from car battery if you are in the middle of no where in the jungle, you will need a special cable and a compatible lighting.

Ping!

Just wanted to reply and get this thread on people's radar. I haven't built one yet, but I plan to within the month. Great thread, Yen!

Latest posts