Wow, How Biased Can You Be?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
OK, recently I had my second cousin over and he became interested in mantids. I told him to try out a Chinese mantis. He said that he'd try spiny flower. I said Chinese. He said spiny flower. He pulled his mom into my bugatorium and told her to look at everything. She said how everything was beautiful. Then she came to my handicapped budwing mantis; a beautiful and great beginner's species. She looked disgustedly at it. In defense of my bugs, I felt bad for her biased opinion.

Has anyone else had a bad remark said in offense of some of your mantises?

Omg! Are you kidding?

People think I'm nuts!

Maybe it's Kentucky but...a lot of friends and family are grossed out by the whole endeavor.

I put up pics on FB recently labeled mantis A, B and C and my cousin posted pics of a flyswatter A, B, and C!!!

No. It seems like people cannot see THE mantis LOL! All mantises are stunning if you look at the whole mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, on several occasions I have had my mantises look with disgust on visitors. Sometimes they will even turn completely around and walk away. To keep feelings from being hurt I try to gently suggest a breath mint to those who have been rejected.

Yes, on several occasions I have had my mantises look with disgust on visitors. Sometimes they will even turn completely around and walk away. To keep feelings from being hurt I try to gently suggest a breath mint to those who have been rejected.
LOL!

Omg! Are you kidding?

People think I'm nuts!

Maybe it's Kentucky but...a lot of friends and family are grossed out by the whole endeavor.

I put up pics on FB recently labeled mantis A, B and C and my cousin posted pics of a flyswatter A, B, and C!!!
NO not just Kentucky people think I'm nuts also

they say you got WHAT!!

I've seen people disgusted at my idolos. Not too surprised. I've only seen a select few people who don't act biased towards mantids

My mom was making jokes about how stupid I was to order a mantis when I could just catch one. Then she kept going on and on that she'd squish it. People these days...

You think you have it bad, try telling people you just picked up 4 new cockroach species. Just make sure there are no young children standing behind them when you do it because they will get trampled in the attempted getaway.

People are raised into hating all insects, spiders, etc. The hate creates a wall preventing them to see how amazing something is. Some people can break past that mental wall and see the beauty. In my experience its people who are more open to new things and/or have a nerdy side.

OK, it's just that I've never had anyone ever hate my bugs. I've even shown my Chinese mantis (undoubtedly the least colorful of my mantids) to some people and never had people say anything biased about him.

Who could not like an idolo?

I've seen people disgusted at my idolos.
Tell me who and I'll set MY idolos on them!

I've convinced all of my friends that mantids are cool. I've actually seen kids at school defending mantids from "squishers" (thanks to my "good" influence. :lol: ) the girls all hate them, though (not surprised :lol: )

My friend is obsessed with mantis SHRIMP. (look them up) he was looking for mantis videos and he found a mantis shrimp vid instead. It took a while to convince him that he shouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on a saltwater tank and just get a mantis instead. :lol:

"I put up pics on FB recently labeled mantis A, B and C and my cousin posted pics of a flyswatter A, B, and C!!!"

I'm sorry - but that IS funny. I mean, you post on FB, and you get what you get.

As far as people being raised to hate bugs...it's true! Unless it's a ladybug, butterfly or firefly.

People just tend to go with their guts instead of putting some actual thought into conquering illogical emotional responses. Just easier, I guess...and enough other things in life can suck the fight right out of you.

Latest posts