Which one....

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joossa

Reaction score
Cilnia humeralis (Wide-Arm Mantis) or Rhombodera basilis (Giant Shield Mantis)...

On average, which one is...

1) longer?

2) heavier?

3) bulkier?

4) more aggressive (overall)?

5) the faster grower?

EDIT: Also can any of these be kept in 32oz deli cups (comfortably) for the entire life cyle, including adults?

Thanks! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cilnia humeralis (Wide-Arm Mantis) or Rhombodera basilis (Giant Shield Mantis)... On average, which one is...

1) Rhombodera

2) Cilnia

3) Cilnia

4) Cilnia

5) Rhombodera

EDIT: Also can any of these be kept in 32oz deli cups (comfortably) for the entire life cyle, including adults?, adult male cilnias could but im not sure about Rhombodera

Thanks! ;)

I would have to say the shield is more of all of those. You cannot keep the sheilds in the cups their whole life. They're way too big. The males of the wide arm could probably live out their lives in those cups.

Hi Rob! I have to agree with Rick, I am keeping them now and as they turn adult, they really need more room, the two hatched about the same time and the two molted to adult within days of each other, only the shield was first. Here is pics of them both in the cups,

this is a male adult sheild, he is not happy with me putting him in here and i don't blame him! He really has no room to move or stretch.

MVC-214F.jpg

Here is the pic of an adult w/arm. He is fitting in here fine, but once again they have no where to roam, I guess this is ok if you do not care how they feel, or just for the sake of breeding them, I don't think it is ok for anything myself, especially a pet. Btw, the w/arm is in the 24 oz cup, which width wise is the same as the 32 oz.

MVC-213F.jpg

Rhomboderas are my favorite mantids in the hobby. They get to a good size, ~3.5" in my experience, but they are the strongest, most aggresive mantids i've ever known! My L6 (1.5") female rhombo just took down a swallow-tail butterfly yesterday! She took a strike and realized it was too big...then went straight at its head and got it! My adult males can take bumble-bees down every now and then too! They are super friendly if handled enough. One of my females was a little figgity and attacked my eyelid, causing bleeding and a little scar. A small price to pay for their awsome-ness.

Hope this helps!

Oh, they are also though as nails when it come to care. I've never lost one to a bad shed. I have lost quite a few to cannablism though.

I know of no other mantis that can do this, or one that would even think a stick of this size is food. This is the only species I have come across that will try to eat ANYTHING that touches it, rear legs included :rolleyes:

DSC_00021.jpg

I've also seen adult females walking along a table with an adult locust in one foreleg ;)

I'll win this one :p

I have to agree with Rob on this one. The female wide-arms are crazy strong. Last weekend i feed one of my gravid females 4 carpenter bees. She ate them all in one day. I have never seen a mantis eat quite like her, and she was ready for more :blink:

Its gnawing on a branch it has "caught" the branch which it is supporting is probably ten times its weight if not more, knowing this species a bit Rob probably just lightly touched the Cilnia female with it and it has grabbed and attempted to eat it!!!

They really are the most aggresive mantis species i've ever come across, Rhombodera sp (sheilded mantids) are no more aggresive than many other species imo :)

How about a double shield mantis? they have better looks than a shielded and they are agressive

Latest posts