My Luna Moths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
Well, after rearing countless luna caterpillars last year, they finally hatched not too long ago.....

IMG_6707.jpg

IMG_6704.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6711.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6688.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

continued....

IMG_6696.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

I now have 200+ caterpillars about .5 inches long. :lol: My largest adult was 133mm across....thats over 5 inches!

If any body wants some caterpillars let me know, I have plenty. They are super easy to raise and the adults are soooo pretty.

I'm serious when I say this: every photo in your gallery made me say 'WOW!' :lol: You're raising very beautiful moths.

I like those. Find them occasionaly.

Awww!!!!! they arw gorgeous!!!!!! do you ship to southamerica? Nobody does :S lol im internally frustated

very nice! are these the same as the asian species?
Not quite. The picture here is, I think, of Actias luna, a N. American species. There is one very like it in Asia, though, Actias selene. If you look at the moth shown here, a line from the tip of the forewing to the tail is convex. In A. selene, which has the same color, four spots and black line along the leading edge of the forewings, the line from forewing tip to tail is concave. There is also another similar species of luna moth in your part of the world, called A. sinensis. This is a fairly large genus.

Latest posts