My Luna Moths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i ran out of leaves yesterday and they started eating the tape holding up the sticks, lol i dont think thats a good thing is it lol ill get more leaves today! just thought it would be a funny thing to put here =)

i ran out of leaves yesterday and they started eating the tape holding up the sticks, lol i dont think thats a good thing is it lol ill get more leaves today! just thought it would be a funny thing to put here =)
lol, if you let them go long enough without food, they eat the leaves' stems and then they start to eat the actual wood once those are gone. :ph34r:

2nd. If all goes well, a second brood should puate around october 10th and the leaves fall around late october.
I wouldn't push the 2nd generation. You will more than likely run out of food. If you are not able to feed them adequately, you will have a bunch of "mini" luna moths (I know this for a fact lol)

When you both get moths, I would like to know what the size of your largest one is. So far, I had one emerge this year with a wing span of 133mm. That's in the 95% percentile for luna moths. :blink:

133mm is the distance between the following brackets:

[------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few pics of my caterpillars....

IMG_7740.jpg

One handful worth, I still have about 3 handful worths after selling dozens. :ph34r:

IMG_7728.jpg

Brown one is in the pre-pupal stage, the green one is a normal one.

IMG_7749.jpg

This is what the sweet gum branches (they are about 2 feet long) look like every morning!

IMG_7610.jpg

Here's a toad that lives right next to my caterpillar cages. He has been there for about a week now. All he does is stare at them all day and night! I'll toss him the sick or dying caterpillars and he gobbles them right up. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you live them outside? Where do you get all of the branches? That's gotta be stripping the tree. Is that their main source of food or can they be found on other leaves as well?

I know a good site about luna moths and it's www3.islandtelecom.com
When I copied and pasted this into my adress bar, nothing came up, because the URL was incomplete. Next time, try copying the whole URL from the adress bar and then paste it into the text box. You should get a live link.

Do you live them outside? Where do you get all of the branches? That's gotta be stripping the tree. Is that their main source of food or can they be found on other leaves as well?
I do keep them outside, but in a screen cage. I get my branches from the trees in my yard, I have at least a dozen old sweet gum trees. This way I don't really damage each individual tree. ;)

3 outta 5 lunas have wrapped themselves in leaves lol im scared to open it up. i have no idea when there cocoon is done.

3 outta 5 lunas have wrapped themselves in leaves lol im scared to open it up. i have no idea when there cocoon is done.
Don't open it. It IS the cocoon. ;) The pupae is the actual insect inside the protective case (cocoon). It will open it up by itself when it hatches. ;)

Latest posts