My Luna Moths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took some pics a little bit ago... working on getting them uploaded! Oh, and when I went to take pics of the one... I discovered there were 2 hatched!! :eek: :D
Lol. You only have a dozen or so cocoons. When you have about two dozen or more, you have about 4 hatch every day. :blink:

I can't wait for mine to hatch out!!Are you suppose to hang them on a branch or can you just place them on some paper towels?
Are you talking about the cocoons? If so, just leave them on the bottom, but make sure they have sticks and/or screen to climb on. :)

I hade more hatch today, all males. :rolleyes: The females better hurry up! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted an entry and pics in my blog of my Lunas! ;) Thanks again, AB... I'm enjoying them. :)

I also just realized... I think I need to put some sticks in their enclosure, right? Or can they just use the net cage to hang on for everything?

Preview of pics in blog:

July09_009_Katnapper.jpg

Looks great Becky! Glad your enjoying them. :) Since your using a net cage, sticks are not needed. ;)

lucky, i have 5 cocoons(or pupate) and i want them to open already lol i love making them wiggle though lol its so funny to watch them go crazy in the cocoons lol

lucky, i have 5 cocoons(or pupate) and i want them to open already lol i love making them wiggle though lol its so funny to watch them go crazy in the cocoons lol
Nice to hear. They should be hatching soon (they will stop wiggling about 3-7 days before they hatch). :)

I had more hatch today all males again lol. I have like 9 males, but I released all but 3 because I will only need 2 or so for mating when the females decdie to emerge. :rolleyes:

females are alwaz "fashionably" late arent they lol. If there in a net cage do you need anything else for them to mate?

Finally had a female emerge! Since I had like 6 males in the cage, mating didn't take very long to initiate. :lol:

IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8034.jpg

Will have eggs over the next 3 days now. :)

Congrats, AB!! ;) And guess what... I had a female eclose last night also, hehe. :D There are 4 males with her now, and one male was right next to her (they were close enough to touch wings, but were not mating).

When I looked at her through the mesh cage, I thought she appeared to be a female by the less "bushy" antennae... but I wanted to make sure (plus, I wanted to take some pics if she was). So I reached in to get her, but when my hand brushed across the bottom back part of her wings, it was all wet. I thought she's peed on me, lol, and I drew my hand back... and there was a whitish-clear liquid on my hand. I'm wondering if she and the male had possibly mated, and this was his sperm that had leaked out onto the back of her wings? It kind of shocked me at first, but it didn't gross me out or anything... but I would kind of like to know. :p

So should I be expecting eggs in about 3 days too? Will they be loose on the bottom of the cage? Or do I need to put a leaved branch in there for her to lay them on? I will do some more research now too so I don't have to ask further newbie moth breeding questions of you! ;)

Here are pics of her. I should have taken a pic of the whitish substance on my hand; but I didn't think about it until after I'd wiped it off. :rolleyes:

July09_064_Katnapper.jpg

July09_066cr_Katnapper.jpg

Latest posts