My Luna Moths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know how you are killing your cats, ###### at some points mine didnt eat for days, and they all pupated and are emerging!.... as well as mating none stop lol are they aware of there own mortality, cause every time i wake up i see a male violating the female moths lol has anyone every blown at them and watch them shiver and go crazy. quite active for never eating adults. easiest breed of moth ive ever taken care of.

Had a two-toned female hatch today. :)

IMG_8350.jpg

i have a question about how to separate them from what they are holding on to and do i have to put something in the cage with them so they can have there baby's on? also how big of an enclosure should they be in i have 5 moths?

Can anyone else please comment on the validity of this suggestion? I would like to know. Thank you.
This is what I do, but I use the large grocery bags. :) She will lay all her eggs after about 3 days. At that, you simply cut the pieces of paper out with the eggs. After this, you then staple the pieces of paper with the eggs to the sweet gum leaves. When they hatch, the little caterpillars simply walk onto the leaves. :)

I'll give you a heads up, young caterpillars like to wander. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a question about how to separate them from what they are holding on to and do i have to put something in the cage with them so they can have there baby's on? also how big of an enclosure should they be in i have 5 moths?
For 5 moths you probably want something like 2 feet tall by 1.5 feet wide. Screen would be best.

This is what I do, but I use the large grocery bags. :) She will lay all her eggs after about 3 days. At that, you simply cut the pieces of paper out with the eggs. After this, you then staple the pieces of paper with the eggs to the sweet gum leaves. When they hatch, the little caterpillars simply walk onto the leaves. :) I'll give you a heads up, young caterpillars like to wander. :rolleyes:
Do you fold the bag shut (clothespin shut, maybe) when she's in there? And how do you know when she's done?

you didn't trust my suggestion. I feel like I am stupid :(
I apologize if my asking for confirmation of your suggestion makes you feel stupid. That was not my intention. But you must understand I have reservations taking any of your advice now. As I said before, most of the statements and advice I have seen you give are not only incorrect, they are dreadfully incorrect. Unfortunately it will take time, and you will have to prove otherwise to me before I trust your opinions or recommendations.

I apologize if my asking for confirmation of your suggestion makes you feel stupid. That was not my intention. But you must understand I have reservations taking any of your advice now. As I said before, most of the statements and advice I have seen you give are not only incorrect, they are dreadfully incorrect. Unfortunately it will take time, and you will have to prove otherwise to me before I trust your opinions or recommendations.
hey I got that paper bag stiff from a website, and my recomendations are logical guesses sometimes based n my experience.

awesome lol is it possible to like chizzle the eggs off of wood? i got them in a wooden cage with netting but there are cracks in it lol lets just say if the baby cats want to wonder off, they can lol is there anything i can do to relocate the eggs if there pasted on wood or netting? thanks for the advice so far =) i still see them mating even though the females are already laying lol these are horny lil guys =)

Do you fold the bag shut (clothespin shut, maybe) when she's in there? And how do you know when she's done?
I use paper clips to close it. ;) She will be done in 3 days, maybe 4. After that, I would just feed her to a mantis, she will be pretty beat up by then. ;)

awesome lol is it possible to like chizzle the eggs off of wood? i got them in a wooden cage with netting but there are cracks in it lol lets just say if the baby cats want to wonder off, they can lol is there anything i can do to relocate the eggs if there pasted on wood or netting? thanks for the advice so far =) i still see them mating even though the females are already laying lol these are horny lil guys =)
You dont need to chizzle them off of wood. :lol: Just pick them off with your finger nails. ;) The eggs will hatch in 8-14 days after hatching, you have until then to relocate them into a smaller cage with leaves. ;) They will be ok sitting in the bottom of a small tupperware until they hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use paper clips to close it. ;) She will be done in 3 days, maybe 4. After that, I would just feed her to a mantis, she will be pretty beat up by then. ;) You dont need to chizzle them off of wood. :lol: Just pick them off with your finger nails. ;) The eggs will hatch in 8-14 days after hatching, you have until then to relocate them into a smaller cage with leaves. ;) They will be ok sitting in the bottom of a small tupperware until they hatch.
Thank you very much for the tips! ;)

Mine still have not emerged and I'm starting to get a little worried that they are never going to :(

I'm hoping that when I wake up there will be some Luna Moths waiting!

Latest posts