people please put pics of ur enclosures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before:

DSCF6471.jpg

DSCF6509.jpg

After:

DSCF6584.jpg

wow.. thats a good thread. some crazy awesome setups. good ideas to
Not only that, but last night I had to be waiting at my computer for a while, and I used the time to see how many members who made enclosures stayed on the forum, as opposed to dropping out. The percentage was higher than for those who didn't (based on a random sampling from early 2008), so build an enclosure and stick around!

IT would be really help full to me
080909044000.jpg

Thats my latest. I am keeping an adult Chinese mantis in it for mating. I like to use either these plastic storage containers or the reusable food ones. I will try to post better pictures later.

Ok, here's a very cheap and easy design. The plastic containers are less than $2.50 for a pack of two at Walmart, and come with lids which have a raised part in the middle, which provides a convenient line to cut to. I used a utility knife like a carpenter might use, with the lid underside-up on a piece of plywood. The screen can be bought in large rolls for about $3.00 at Menards - maybe Walmart too. The only other thing you'll need is a roll of electrical tape, which cost about $2.00, and a pair of scissors to cut the screen and the tape. Cut the screen so there's about 1/4-inch overlap beyond each edge of the hole you cut in the lid, and tape it down as flatly and evenly as you can to the underside. Press the tape down firmly enough that you can see the pattern of the screen through the tape. You might want to check it whenever the lid is off and snug it back down if necessary - a large mantis hanging from it regularly plus the flexing of the lid when it's pulled off can stretch the tape slightly over time.

I'd recommend these for larger mantids - like Chinese L3 and up. Even when pressed firmly against the screen and lid, there can be a very narrow edge of tape exposed which is still a little sticky at first. I saw a couple of L3s get a leg stuck to it for a second on the first night, but they easily pulled free. For smaller mantids, the electrical tape could probably be covered with something less sticky and less thick, like painter's tape.

My girlfriend and I made eight of these in about an hour. They are 7" tall, and 7"x7" at the top. At the bottom they're more like 6"x6", and stack quite neatly if you want to put a screened cutout in one of the sides. Also, a full-size paper towel folded into quarters or a half-sheet one folded in half perfectly covers the floor once it's misted and tucked in.

The mantis pictured is my largest Chinese, with only a molt or two to go before becoming an adult. As you can see, he's got plenty of room for now. We'll just have to see how much bigger he gets. :)

BugHouse1.jpg

BugHouse2.jpg

BugHouse4.jpg

BugHouse5.jpg

BugHouse3.jpg

Gratuitous mugging for the camera. :D

Ok, here's a very cheap and easy design. The plastic containers are less than $2.50 for a pack of two at Walmart, and come with lids which have a raised part in the middle, which provides a convenient line to cut to. I used a utility knife like a carpenter might use, with the lid underside-up on a piece of plywood. The screen can be bought in large rolls for about $3.00 at Menards - maybe Walmart too. The only other thing you'll need is a roll of electrical tape, which cost about $2.00, and a pair of scissors to cut the screen and the tape. Cut the screen so there's about 1/4-inch overlap beyond each edge of the hole you cut in the lid, and tape it down as flatly and evenly as you can to the underside. Press the tape down firmly enough that you can see the pattern of the screen through the tape. You might want to check it whenever the lid is off and snug it back down if necessary - a large mantis hanging from it regularly plus the flexing of the lid when it's pulled off can stretch the tape slightly over time.I'd recommend these for larger mantids - like Chinese L3 and up. Even when pressed firmly against the screen and lid, there can be a very narrow edge of tape exposed which is still a little sticky at first. I saw a couple of L3s get a leg stuck to it for a second on the first night, but they easily pulled free. For smaller mantids, the electrical tape could probably be covered with something less sticky and less thick, like painter's tape.
Looks good, Mike! :) You could use hot glue to attach the screening too, if you don't want to take a chance with any sticky edges or even through the mesh. Also it would probably be more secure and permanent. What about when you go to wash the lids?
HmmmChinScratch.gif
I'm wondering if the tape might eventually come loose.

Good point. The glue would look nicer too. We just made these last week, so this is definitely "version 1.0" of them. I haven't even bothered to cut the feeding holes in the sides yet. We'll see how the tape holds up over time, and maybe have a glue gun by then. ;)

"version 1.0"
That's funny... I'm constantly revising and trying to improve my housing "designs!" You'll love a hot glue gun if you get one... I use it for lots more than mantis related enclosures. I know lots of people recommend the low temp gun, but I've got one and hate it. I LOVE my big, powerful high heat glue gun... (well, except when I accidentally drip some hot glue on myself! eeekk... ouch, tend to blister). But sooo many uses! ;)