Oxyopsis gracilis nymphs hatch (photos & video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
OxyH01_7677-sm.jpg

OxyH02_7679-sm.jpg

OxyH03_7684-sm.jpg

OxyH04_7692-sm.jpg

You can see how their claws are actually tubular when first emerging. The spikes on the claws look like black hairs. :blink:

OxyH05_7693-sm.jpg

OxyH06_7694-sm.jpg

OxyH07_7705-sm.jpg

OxyH08_7703-sm.jpg

OxyH09_7699-sm.jpg

Look at these little chicken heads!

OxyH10_7695-sm.jpg

OxyH11_7710-sm.jpg

OxyH12_7711-sm.jpg

6 days later they look like this...

OxyL1_7973-sm.jpg

OxyL1_7974-sm.jpg

OxyL1_7975-sm.jpg

OxyL1_7979-sm.jpg

OxyL1_7976-sm.jpg

I'll be posting nymphs and ooths for sale very soon. This is what the adults look like. More pics of them next.

Male

OxyM_4322-sm.jpg

Female

OxyF_4353-sm.jpg

Awesome hatch video, and in the soon after birth pics the nymph look's like a old man professor, too cool. :lol:

Awesome hatch video, and in the soon after birth pics the nymph look's like a old man professor, too cool. :lol:
Thanks! I can't believe how different they look after only 6 days. Took some pics of the L2s tonight. I'll have to add them to the post.

The nymphs somewhat remind me of a budwing mantis with the tiger striping.. but not completely

Precarious: You must watch your ooths like a HAWK! How do you ALWAYS catch them right when they're hatching?? :huh: ;)

Have you noticed how calm the little nymphs are?

I couldn't believe that even the little L1s will just mosey around, curious as could be...but never try to jump or run...just awesome! I'm going to love this species, I think. :D

As always, man, GREAT PICS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Precarious: You must watch your ooths like a HAWK! How do you ALWAYS catch them right when they're hatching?? :huh: ;)

Have you noticed how calm the little nymphs are?
Haha! I get lucky a lot, but I keep them in the room I spend most of my time and I look at my bugs throughout the day. Plus they mostly hatch in the morning around the time I wake up. That's why this video isn't so steady. I was barely awake. :sleeping: This ooth only hatched 19 nymphs but I missed the next one that hatched 80! I hope people want some of these!

The nymphs are calm... until you try to take their picture! Must be camera shy.

Wait till I post the pics of the Sibylla pretiosa nymph and hatching. What a crazy cute nymph!

The video and the pics are absolutely amazing. I learned some from viewing the vid regarding how they look up close when the emerge with much squirming and writhing. It is nothing short of miraculous how they are born and how they so quickly tranform into nice pets of a total different coloration. Thanks for sharing this.

man I thought, you put some movement sensors where you keep your ooths!!!

nice video and pics.

saludos

Latest posts