Oxyopsis gracilis nymphs hatch (photos & video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Amazing shots. I've been watching your macro videos on youtube all afternoon, they're breathtaking!
Thanks, Ryan. It's been a lot of fun getting to witness all of this and share it. I hope it helps others better understand their pets.

Congrates on the hatching of O. gracilis. You did great! :clap:

Being a South American species, this batch would have seen cooler time if they are still in southern hemisphere. It is good example how we could change a species life cycle in captivity.

Awe... see, now you jinxed me. A Brunneria borealis just hatched and I missed it. :angry:
B. borealis usually hatch early in the morninig (6-7 am), and will continue to hatch for few weeks so i hope you still get a chance to record it. All the best! ^_^

Congrates on the hatching of O. gracilis. You did great! :clap:
Thanks for introducing me to this species, Yen. I was so happy to read they are communal. I'll be keeping a handful for myself to raise communally.

Thanks for introducing me to this species, Yen. I was so happy to read they are communal. I'll be keeping a handful for myself to raise communally.
Hey you're welcome :) They do well together, but starting from 2 molts away to adult, you will notice female being large than male, you could move some if not all of the males into another cage, or just keep plenty of feeders. Good luck with the new generation, it was lot of fun for me following them all the way from hatchling to adult, especially the transformation of round head to a trangular shape as they grow. :eek:

Hey you're welcome :) They do well together, but starting from 2 molts away to adult, you will notice female being large than male, you could move some if not all of the males into another cage, or just keep plenty of feeders. Good luck with the new generation, it was lot of fun for me following them all the way from hatchling to adult, especially the transformation of round head to a trangular shape as they grow. :eek:
Excellent! Thanks for the tip. You can be sure I'll be posting updates on their progress.

This species should be more popular. Hopefully they catch on. Very easy to keep and a very unique personality and look.

By the way, did you ever see an Oxy spermatophore? I noticed this attached to the female after a mating session. Never saw that with any other species.

Oxyspermatophore_5734-sm.jpg

Oxyspermatophore_5733-sm.jpg

Nice shot Henry! Yeah this happen to me especially when the adult male used for pairing hasn't been mated for a while. Looks like excess spermatozoa, she should be busy fertilizing plenty of eggs now :)

Latest posts