Do they smell things?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicaGorgous

Reaction score
I've had my ghost nymph on my hand and it looked like it was sniffing for something. looked exactly like a dog sniffing. It was the funniest thing. It did it in the container as well when inspecting the water droplets.

It was probably looking for water....it sensed the sweat on your hand...give it a spray, or spray your hand and it will drink from you hand, but if you don't want to accidentally get bitten, only do that for younger nymphs...

Some species have one ear toward the bottom of their thorax. It is mainly used for by males to hear the echolocation of bats.
I saw this happen up in massachusetts, I couldnt tell what sp, but saw a male flying near the camp halogen light we had set up.. and out of nowhere, a bat comes diving in to catch it, but the male dropped like a rock...he tucked his arms and legs in and just fell...to bad he fell in the stream tho...lol it was pretty cool tho!

And I think it is all species, not just limited to some...but I may be wrong...

I saw this happen up in massachusetts, I couldnt tell what sp, but saw a male flying near the camp halogen light we had set up.. and out of nowhere, a bat comes diving in to catch it, but the male dropped like a rock...he tucked his arms and legs in and just fell...to bad he fell in the stream tho...lol it was pretty cool tho!

And I think it is all species, not just limited to some...but I may be wrong...
I was told it was on only some. I could be wrong though.

I have thought it would be fun to set up a bat / mantis experiment. Have an audio generator output the same frequency of local bat species and watch if your mantid(s) react.

Do they make secret sounds? I saw on Tv, Alien Empire on PBS, leaf hoppers and other little bugs have a secret language. The sounds travel through stems and the bugs sort of "hear" it.

How could anything on god's green earth not smell a cricket cage!

I will add though one time my Tau was free ranging on a jasmine vine and I had a box of flies out on the floor across the room. When I came back she was sitting on top of the fly box drooling a little.

Ok, ok the drooling part I made up!

Last edited by a moderator:
"The mantis’s hearing organ is difficult to call an ear. Unlike any other insect, the mantis has only one hearing organ, located in a groove underneath its thorax. The teardrop shaped groove has a thinner cuticle than other parts of the body. Beneath the cuticle there is a relatively large air sac on each side of the groove. These sacs are connected to the insect’s respiratory system. Near the top of the sac are the nerves that carry the sensation of sound to the nervous system. Scientists say that this hearing organ senses ultrasonic frequencies. When researchers played a bat like sound to a mantis in flight, it immediately took an evasive flight path to escape the bat it thought it heard."

---- http://leesbird.com/2011/03/10/interesting-things-mantiss-hearing/

David Yeager @ University of Maryland, College Park is one of the pioneers studying the physiology and processes of Mantid hearing.

I think that your mantis was sensing for moisture or sweets by using its palps and/or antennae. :)

My Hymenopus coronatus seem to be able to sense something sweet from over an inch away, so I am sure there is something going on. Just that there are no noses involved. lol

The antennae have some olfactory sensors so if your mantis looked like it was sniffing with it's face it wasn't.

Latest posts