How I make fruit fly medium!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikhailsDinos

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the results I get from this stuff. I've tried adding more MASA & the mix was to dry, I tried adding more apple sauce & it was to moist.. Only use 6oz of apple sauce & 2oz of MASA.. I just put it in the microwave for 30 seconds & that makes it a little easier to mix the medium. :)

I will be selling the MASA with a new fungicide added to it. So all you have to do is add the apple sauce & yeast. You dont have to add vinegar.

First you start with a clean 32 oz container.

IMG_8076.jpg

All the things you will need.

IMG_8077.jpg

White vinegar.

IMG_8078.jpg

Apple sauce.

IMG_8079.jpg

You will need 6 oz of apple sauce & do not add more than this. Otherwise you will have to much moisture in the medium.

IMG_8080.jpg

Put the 6 oz of apple sauce in the cup.

IMG_8081.jpg

MASA, This stuff the flies love!

IMG_8082.jpg

Add 2oz of MASA to the cup with apple sauce.

IMG_8083.jpg

Add 1 TBS of white vinegar as a fungicide, It really works well for me!

IMG_8084.jpg

Honey is a great fungicide too. Plus it makes it a little bit sweeter.

IMG_8085.jpg

Add a TBS of honey to the cup of medium.

Add 4 drops of dye & dont add more than this... otherwise your maggots will not do so well! I have done lots of tests :lol: The dye is used for seeing the maggots.

A little 2oz cup i'm using.

Put the medium in the 32oz cup.

Add yeast.

Add some coffee filters, So that the maggots have somewhere dry & for the flies to hang out. :)

One week later & check all the flies.

I started this culture with just 5 flies... Now look at it! :)

Close up...

Last edited by a moderator:
lol It's in the mexican food area of your food store..

It's called MASA, It's something like flower for bread.

Whats that powder stuff? It has spanish on it i can't read it :lol:

Thanks for the instruction. Looks like your medium is a good thick consistency - doesn't run when tapping out flies. I cultured tons of d. hydei and d. melanogaster on nothing but mashed potatoe flakes with yeast on top and it worked very well. However, it did go bad (like SUPER-FUNK bad :shock: ) just once. I will incorporate the vinegar/honey and see how it goes.

Thank you! :D I like this medium becuase they dont get stuck & die. This medium does not go bad if you do the things I have said on here, The only thing it smells like vinegar... I don't mind this smell. The medium I make stays fresh until the maggots have eaten all of it. :) Definitely add the vinegar & honey...

Thanks for the instruction. Looks like your medium is a good thick consistency - doesn't run when tapping out flies. I cultured tons of d. hydei and d. melanogaster on nothing but mashed potatoe flakes with yeast on top and it worked very well. However, it did go bad (like SUPER-FUNK bad :shock: ) just once. I will incorporate the vinegar/honey and see how it goes.

Awesome! All those ingredients are available at Wal-Mart, even the Maseca Masa.

This thread should be a sticky; it’s really helpful!!!! Thank you for sharing your secret with us!

Awesome! All those ingredients are available at Wal-Mart' date=' even the Maseca Masa. quote']

Not mine... :( So what could I replace it with? Cornmeal? Flour?
I just went to go check my mom’s Maseca Masa. Under ingredients it reads: “Specially ground and dehydrated whole kernel corn and lime. No preservatives added.”

I do not know if corn meal is the same. I know that in Southern California there are supermarkets called Vallarta; they sell it there.

Think I will just stick to buying a big bag of the commercial stuff. It's inexpensive.

Thank you! :) Yep, all the ingredients are at wal-mart & King supers. I can get everything under $20 & it lasts me a long time!

Edit:

You can get the apple sauce for only $3 or $4 for a half a gallon.

Awesome! All those ingredients are available at Wal-Mart, even the Maseca Masa. This thread should be a sticky; it’s really helpful!!!! Thank you for sharing your secret with us!