17th Birthday Fund Raiser

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll send you five cents. <_<

For your effort i will chip in few bucks. I have seen many ambitious young people trying some fancy thing to get quick bucks but very few made it without hard work and cracking innovative ideas. I agree what Becky the old tried-and-true fundraiser work better. Good luck on your fundraising.

O.K. Here's what you do:

Take the money that you had set aside for all of those ooths you want, and set up a charitable organization for research into spinal injuries caused four wheeler and dirt bike accidents.

Find a famous person as the titular head, but make yourself chairman/treasurer.

Solicit the public to send a small sum to aid your cause, based on the March for Dimes model. Call it Bucks for Backs.

Find movie stars and pop singers to endorse you fund. They will be glad to do it for the exposure.

In particular, look for famous folks, stars, royalty, who have been injured in similar types of accident, George Clooney, James Dean, Princess Grace, Princess Diana, etc.

Go on a "fact finding mission", funded by BfB, to get firsthand information about this "crippling condition".

As part of that mission, take a video cam to your Bday party and film people falling off bikes and under four wheelers (you'll also find some good footage on You Tube).

Bingo! You should be set for life!

I am a fan of your parents and I am hoping your fundraising goes well.

Just out of curiosity how long did you know you were going to turn 17? Because you might have had the opportunity to plan ahead with a job etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.

I have been working, doing side jobs, etc.

I spray paint pictures and sell them.

But school right now is taking my time over.

My parents are helping me out with some stuff like an airbrush kit so i can start doing another skill.

But i'm going trying to get a job in construction with a big company here but economy is kinda bad and people are getting laid off.

But I will be putting some spray paintings i do on Ebay this week so ill post the links and you all can check them out ... if ya want :]

Lol good luck with that, I mean it though. The money's got to come from someplace right?
Not necessarily, Asa... ;) My mom always told me, "Wish in one hand, sh*t in the other." :rolleyes: Money just doesn't fall out of the sky or appear just because you wish it would. If he doesn't come up with the funds, his parents could just say, "No funds = no skateboarding, no paintballing, no four wheeling, and no bowling! :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. It sounds as though you are really trying to get a job and I retract my earlier, facetious comment (quite a rarity for me!). It's hard enough for adults to get jobs, let alone kids, and it's not just in the U.S. University kids in Europe, and South of the Equator are feeling the pinch, big time. In my "extended family"alone, two sit at home and mope, one works for her uncle (my kid brother), one deals drugs to her friends at a stupidly low profit margin, and one suffered multiple indignities caring for an undisciplined kid with Down's syndrome, eight hours a day [poor Mija!].

I'm not greatly excited by P. wahlbergi, especially at $15 a throw, but I shall PM you tomorrow about taking five off your hands. That may help.

Thanks. Yah i talked to my old shop teacher and he is calling the construction company "###### Anderson" and trying to get me in. but he doesnt think he will be hiring. Yep i am shipping mantids off next week if weather stays somewhat good so let me know

I don't remember what I did on my 17th birthday, but I remember how I made money.

If those whole images are yours with spray paint I'd say ya got some talent.

If you can do these quickly you could make them on the spot, espcially characatures that sell at fairs and festivals, and make some cash. I think the fumes would need to be controlled though, for the event people to allow it.

When I was 16-17 I was in my last year of high school and only had to take half a day of classes, and the other half I worked in some program the high school had for career planning. I actually worked at a man camp in the kitchen at a power plant that was 10 miles out of town. Had my own room there, for getting away when I wanted, with a new stereo and various other things that you are probably into, from sone of your poster indications. That was about 30 years ago though :)

I also did part time house construction and learned how to build houses back then. Did alot of dry wall work when we weren't building.

After I graduated, at 17 years old, I joined a union 10 days later, and was making more money than I'd ever had. Had to lie about my age to build the nuke plant, not thrilled about nukes, but it had a standing call for 50 men a day.

I had buddies that worked on the Railroad up there in montana, and they made good money doing it. Last I heard they paid pretty well on the railroad. Don't know that' I'd do it as a career, but it's a good start, if you can get it.

I also did what one of Phils family did, way back then. Not recommended in these times.

Check out the art shows, and maybe somebody will buy your stuff. Don't totally rely on other artists trying to help, cause you're competition for the money to them.

They have a nice art and craft festival every year down by the university here. In a place like the university area you could meet alot of other artists that may give you ideas, and whatnot.

Before you know it, you'll be out on your own, so get a leg up :)

Hrm...definitely not into personal donations like that, but might be interested in commissioning a peice from you. Could you post a couple of better resolution shots of the art you are selling?

One other suggestion is to try e t s y dot com. But I think they charge per listing and might not get as much traffic as *bay.

Latest posts