1st day feeding?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whamslam3

Reaction score
on the 1st day my mantis arrives, after a 2 day trip to my house, should i feed and mist him right away? or wait until later that day? or wait until the next day?

when i do feed him, how many fruit flies should i feed him? (its an african mantis nymph)

on the 1st day my mantis arrives, after a 2 day trip to my house, should i feed and mist him right away? or wait until later that day? or wait until the next day?when i do feed him, how many fruit flies should i feed him? (its an african mantis nymph)
1) He/she will be hungry. I always feed mine right away. Mist if your ambient humity is low.

2) Give him "a few." Check next day to see how many are gone and how many are dead (that's one reason why I find a paper substrate so useful) and base your feeding strategy on that. If you find a number still alive, you may want to feed every other day. Better too many than too few, though.

3)Once you get your feet wet, you'll do fine, honest! ;)

1) He/she will be hungry. I always feed mine right away. Mist if your ambient humity is low.2) Give him "a few." Check next day to see how many are gone and how many are dead (that's one reason why I find a paper substrate so useful) and base your feeding strategy on that. If you find a number still alive, you may want to feed every other day. Better too many than too few, though.

3)Once you get your feet wet, you'll do fine, honest! ;)
thnx so much for the hlp :D

Yes you should. If it is just a nymph and is eating fruit flies toss in about 20. If he eats all of those up then you can increase the next feeding. Goal is to keep him plump but not bursting.

Yes you should. If it is just a nymph and is eating fruit flies toss in about 20. If he eats all of those up then you can increase the next feeding. Goal is to keep him plump but not bursting.
dang 20! thats lot! lol thnx for the hlp.

my 1st feeding was an epic fail lol i opened the fruit fly container and i pulled it to hard so some splashed on me lol and i lost like 10 of them! o well ill get better.

I usually pat the top of the container to make them fall then peel the lid back a little bit.

i might have put in to many fruit flies on accident, is that a bad thing? or can they harm the mantis nymph?

i might have put in to many fruit flies on accident, is that a bad thing? or can they harm the mantis nymph?
Not usually. They likely will settle down, and the nymph/s will eat what it wants at their leisure until the fruit flies die (usually a couple of days). If you've put so many in that they seem to be stressing the mantis continuously, I would remove some of them. If a mantis cannot even sit and rest in peace for stretches of time because of too many feeders in with it, it can become stressed to the point of illness or death. Way too many fruit flies in the enclosure when a mantis is molting can also interfere with it molting properly.

But I wouldn't concern yourself with that worry too much. ;) There would have to be lots of extra flies in there to cause the risks I previously mentioned. I routinely put in many more than I know they can eat, and it works out fine. I just thought I'd mention that you don't want to go hog wild and put tons in there!

Not usually. They likely will settle down, and the nymph/s will eat what it wants at their leisure until the fruit flies die (usually a couple of days). If you've put so many in that they seem to be stressing the mantis continuously, I would remove some of them. If a mantis cannot even sit and rest in peace for stretches of time because of too many feeders in with it, it can become stressed to the point of illness or death. Way too many fruit flies in the enclosure when a mantis is molting can also interfere with it molting properly. But I wouldn't concern yourself with that worry too much. ;) There would have to be lots of extra flies in there to cause the risks I previously mentioned. I routinely put in many more than I know they can eat, and it works out fine. I just thought I'd mention that you don't want to go hog wild and put tons in there!
ok good thnx for the hlp :D . ya i did not put a ton in there just more than i wanted to. he has plenty of room to chill B) . so when i mist do i mist derectly on him or do i just mist the inside of the cup?

ok good thnx for the hlp :D . ya i did not put a ton in there just more than i wanted to. he has plenty of room to chill B) . so when i mist do i mist derectly on him or do i just mist the inside of the cup?
Sounds like you're doing fine. I like to mist them directly about the head, so they can drink the droplets if they're thirsty. If they bend down and try to drink from the surface of the container, I'll give them another shot or two to make sure they have enough there to get a decent drink. If they run away or don't appear interested in drinking, just leave it at that until the next time.

If I want more humidity in the container (like for a mantis who appears ready to molt soon), I'll often mist the container surfaces.

Edit: PS.... Keep in mind that depending on the species, some mantids don't really "drink," but get their liquid requirements from the food they eat. Also, some species don't really need misted much (or at all). Research your individual species for recommendations on humidity. And you can often tell by experience (after a few times of trying to give them a drink) whether or not a certain species likes to drink or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're doing fine. I like to mist them directly about the head, so they can drink the droplets if they're thirsty. If they bend down and try to drink from the surface of the container, I'll give them another shot or two to make sure they have enough there to get a decent drink. If they run away or don't appear interested in drinking, just leave it at that until the next time.If I want more humidity in the container (like for a mantis who appears ready to molt soon), I'll often mist the container surfaces.

Edit: PS.... Keep in mind that depending on the species, some mantids don't really "drink," but get their liquid requirements from the food they eat. Also, some species don't really need misted much (or at all). Research your individual species for recommendations on humidity. And you can often tell by experience (after a few times of trying to give them a drink) whether or not a certain species likes to drink or not.
o ok thnx for the advice :D . i just feel bad when i spray him in the face with water :lol: , cuz if some1 did that to me i would be pissed off lol :p .

Just make sure it is really warm distilled water, the african likes his water and will take it twice a day when this small.
o i didnt even think about it being warm i have just been using room temp distilled water. i didnt kno to do it twice a day either i have just been doing it once. thnx for all the help :D . both of the mantids are doing fine by the way. the little brown one(mystery mantis) aka Flash has so much energy. most of the time when i look in his cage he is running around lol :p . i actually saw him jump from the bottom onto the stick once :lol: . the african mantis aka Scyther likes to just chill by the hole where the foam stopper is and take out fruit flies. he is getting me angry tho cuz he wont move away from the hole and i want to mist him but hes to close to the foam! lol :eek: :lol: .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts