2011 Texas and Arizona summer collecting experience

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the rarer type of ant found here in Jesse Jones Park. Panther ant, Pachycondyla villosa or harpax.

jjp33-PantherantPachycondylavillosaorharpax.jpg

Some strange looking eggs found on a tree. All have hatched.

jjp35b.jpg

jjp35a.jpg

Park naturalist Anita checking out dropping from coyote.... looks like lot of squarrel hairs. Ekkkk..

jjp34.jpg

Saw an armadillo crossing a road. This one was quick and vanish in the bush in seconds.

jjp21.jpg

jjp22.jpg

We try to follow the armadillo but it buried under the fallen leaves and disappeared, instead we found an egg case.

jjp23.jpg

but also saw plenty of poison ivy, which is the type we should avoid contact to.

jjp36.jpg

Most of the park is so dry....... but i guess some bugs adapt to dryer condition.

jjp20.jpg

Sesbania drummondii, poison bean tree do well in sandy soil.

jjp19-poisonbeanSesbaniadrummondii.jpg

Some of the rarer type of ant found here in Jesse Jones Park. Panther ant, Pachycondyla villosa or harpax.

jjp33-PantherantPachycondylavillosaorharpax.jpg

Some strange looking eggs found on a tree. All have hatched.
That ant queen is a sweet find! ;) Those eggs are wheel bug eggs. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yen, i think those strange eggs on the tree are from an assassin bug in the genus Zelus or some other assassin bug similar to it

my zelus luridis laid eggs that looked just liked that

how big was the egg cluster?

That ant queen is a sweet find! ;) Those eggs are wheel bug eaggs. :)
Chris wished that is a queen, but unfortunately it wasn't :(
Nice pics. What spp does the ooth look like to you?
Stagmomantis carolina.
yen, i think those strange eggs on the tree are from an assassin bug in the genus Zelus or some other assassin bug similar to it

my zelus luridis laid eggs that looked just liked that

how big was the egg cluster?
I think Paul is right about wheel bug.I still haven't got the chance to upload pics from Arizona yet... so more photos from Jesse Jones Park in Texas.

An insect poster in the visitor center

jjp41.jpg

Carrying an alligator snappy shell

jjp40.jpg

One of Anita's pet in her office - Eastern narrowmouth toad (Gastrophryne carolinensis)

jjp48EasternNarrowmouthToadGastrophrynecarolinensis.jpg

Anita showed us one of the fish parasite caught recently - A strange looking parasitic 'bug' that consume and replace fish tongue (Cymothoa exigua)

jjp49Cymothoaexiguathetongue-eatinglouse.jpg

jjp50Cymothoaexiguathetongue-eatinglouse.jpg

We went to see the park greenhouse, mainly carnivorous plant. Here is the Nepenthes rafflesiana

jjp37-Nepenthesrafflesiana.jpg

and another Nepenthes sp. that smells like perfume.

jjp38-Nepenthessp.jpg

Another native carnivorous plant Sarracenia sp.

JJP39a-Sarraceniasp.jpg

Crematogaster sp. ants could become the CP next meal

jjp39b-Crematogastersp.jpg

To be continue......

We went to visit Lara who is entomology grad student in University of Houston. She is working on her research on the harvester ant in the university greenhouse and and Chris showed her an easier way to pick up the ant with aspirator.

UH1.jpg

We also met another grad student Darelyn who is working on an Chris favorite ant, Pseudomyrmex.

UH2.jpg

With Lara and Darelyn's help, we were able to get the permit to collect at UHCC (University of Houston Coastal Center).

UHCC01.jpg

UHCC02.jpg

I was quite surprise to see the place full of greens

UHCC04asnowontheprairie.jpg

UHCC03.jpg

Chris get started right away checking out hollow twigs for Pseudomyrmex colonies.

UHCC04.jpg

There is always a chance finding Pseudomyrmex colony with a hole like this on twig

UHCC19.jpg

Get to work....

UHCC09.jpg

and there is the colony! (See queen ant with the pointed arrow)

UHCC20.jpg

I walked into the field and saw plenty of flowering plant, snow-on-the prairie (Euphorbia bicolor)

UHCC04b.jpg

and saw a mantis looking straight at me!

UHCC05Euphorbiabicolor.jpg

Taking a closer look...definitely Stagmomantis carolina. This one is subadult female.

UHCC06.jpg

Found more carolina mantis. This subadult male still has half of the bee on the front leg.

UHCC07.jpg

and more mantis....

UHCC08.jpg

Sweeping the field with butterfly net and found more mantis

UHCC17.jpg

NICE! I get a lot of Stagmomantis around here. Subadult still, though? Multiple generations a year in TX?

NICE! I get a lot of Stagmomantis around here. Subadult still, though? Multiple generations a year in TX?
Only one generation per year. I think the exceptionally dry summer has significantly slowed down wild mantis growth.Speaking of drought, you can see the lake drying up in UHCC. There are many turkey vulture around the area, probably picking up the dead fish.

UHCC12TurkeyVulture.jpg

A closer pic of the vulture

UHCC13TurkeyVulture.jpg

But there is also a white ibis near the pond

UHCC15whiteibis.jpg

Came across this green lynx spider. The largest i have ever seen.

UHCCb18Peucetiaviridansthegreenlynxspider.jpg

UHCC18Peucetiaviridansthegreenlynxspider.jpg

UHCC18aPeucetiaviridansthegreenlynxspider.jpg

Also some large banana spiders

UHCC14BananaSpiderNephilaclavipes.jpg

This is a buggy area, but also has plenty of ticks. This one almost got me.

UHCC16.jpg

Chris continue to cutting up hollow twigs (Two more twigs leaning vertically against the bumper to be cut open)

UHCC21.jpg

Plenty of colonies collected. Pseudomyrmex gracilis, Pseudomyrmex seminoles, Pseudomyrmex pallidus.

UHCC22.jpg

I will jump to Arizona trip photos the next post.

As always, thanks for sharing Yen! Those spiders and the vulture shot were pretty cool, glad you avoided the tick's grasp! I look forward to the AZ pics.

As always, thanks for sharing Yen! Those spiders and the vulture shot were pretty cool, glad you avoided the tick's grasp! I look forward to the AZ pics.
Yea i wonder what type of tick it is?So here we go. We arrived at Tucson, AZ and here is our transportation for the week in AZ. Ford Taurus.

az001.jpg

After checking in to hotel, we went to Montosa Canyon with another bug friend John. We ascend to about 4000ft elevation and stopped by the roadside. The first thing I saw was a pretty gruesome sight. A plain lubber feeding on a road kill lizard.

az002-plainlubber.jpg

az003-plainlubber.jpg

A short clip

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/yen_saw2009/2011%20Christian%20Trip/Arizona/?action=view&current=M4H08273.mp4

There were many horse lubber grasshoppers crossing the road. One of the largest grasshoppers in Arizona.

az008.jpg

az009.jpg

There are so many type of grasshoppers in the canyon. Here is the colorful painted grasshopper.

az011PaintedGrasshopper-Dactylotumbicolor.jpg

az010PaintedGrasshopper-Dactylotumbicolor.jpg

This large grasshopper is about the same length. Not sure what species it is.

az004.jpg

More on Montosa Canyon next time......

Wow! I've never seen a grasshopper so colorful as that painted, I bet they make some nice bait for fishing! :D Fishing or not, I'll definitely look for 'em when I visit AZ.

Latest posts