3-Legged Molt.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantid_mike

Reaction score
Can a mantis molt with 3 legs on the lid and one free in the air? I don't see how my ghost will pull herself out of her old skin if that leg isn't holding on to anything. She's been posted for 2-3 hrs not being too active.

155998f8.jpg

Is the tarsus or the claws at the end of the leg missing? If not it is likely it will pull the leg up eventually. I've seen mantids hold a leg out like that. And if it cannot grip with that leg it is still possible to molt without issue.

A female budwing of mine molted from L4 to L5 fine and she literally only had 3 legs, she chewed one off for some unknown reason.

3 legs is stable enough to molt, it's 2 that's sketchy (I have seen it done but she ended up having a wonky raptorial because she hit the bottom of the enclosure when the weight of her tipped the old carapace forward).

I woke up this morning and found her in the exact same position, and not even molted. You can see in the pic that the tip of her abdomen that she began molting. She even began the process last night by shaking for several hours. Is it normal for it to take this many hours?

If you're really worried, keep her moist and warm. Really though, like Rick said, it looks like a piece of her foot is missing.

I was wondering about the same thing. My L2 Idolo has only three working legs BUT both her raptorials are badly twisted (I've been hand feeding her), I am worried about her next molt. does she have a chance?

*I say "she" because she is so beautiful, not because I know her gender.

One of my little budwings tried to molt with just two legs to hold on and she ended up more mangled than before. Your ghost should be fine with three legs though. Keep us post and let us know how it goes. Hope she is ok after her next molt.

She looks dead. I hope she makes it but I think the battle is already lost.

If the mantis has been molting for hours there is obviously a problem. The actual molting is pretty quick.

thanks, guys. i still have another sub-adult female. i hope she makes it. i'll keep the humidity up really high in hopes that it doesn't happen again.

Latest posts