3 Northern Brown Snakes That I Caught In My Backyard. Photos included.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidBro

Reaction score
three_northern_brown_snakes_by_alexandersmantids-d6235ie.jpg

Awesome. I checked to see if they were venomous or not before picking them up and taking more photos.

1st_northern_brown_snake__2__by_alexandersmantids-d6237lm.jpg

First snake. The gloves weren't for protection against the bites (they're quite harmless), but protection against salmonella. There's a low chance that a wild snake is carrying it, but there IS still the risk, so I put them on. I ended up holding them without the gloves anyways so it turned out to be kind of pointless. I did still wash my hands though.

2nd_northern_brown_snake__2__by_alexandersmantids-d6237xi.jpg

The second snake.

3rd_northern_brown_snake_by_alexandersmantids-d6238bd.jpg

The third snake. Biggest of the three.

Last edited by a moderator:
very cool, i caught a 4 foot rat snake last week on my front poarch, my wife thinks im crazy cause i sneak up behind them and BAM grab them by there head, lol.

those snakes must have just came out from the cool.

Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi), one of my favorites. They are harmless. And just to be technical, no snakes are poisonous, venomous is the correct term. There is a difference.

Nice snakes. :)

I like the glove idea. When I catch snakes, or pretty much any reptile or amphibian, they can let loose something unpleasant. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
very cool, i caught a 4 foot rat snake last week on my front poarch, my wife thinks im crazy cause i sneak up behind them and BAM grab them by there head, lol.

those snakes must have just came out from the cool.
Awesome! Last Summer I spotted a water snake but I wasn't sure if it was venomous or not so I didn't end up catching it. I looked it up online once we got home and found that it wasn't venomous, and I was like, aw man...! I could have caught it! I do the same, always caught snakes growing up by snatching them by their neck, right behind their head. I found that I didn't need to do that with the Northern Brown Snakes, though, they were very tame.

Yeah it was really warm the day I saw them. Plus the guy next door was working on his garden and I think he scared them off into taking refuge in my backyard.

Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi), one of my favorites. They are harmless. And just to be technical, no snakes are poisonous, venomous is the correct term. There is a difference.
One of my favorites, too. And they are indeed harmless. Didn't even try to bite. Oh really? I thought those words were interchangeable. My bad, I'll fix that.

Nice snakes. :)

I like the glove idea. When I catch snakes, or pretty much any reptile or amphibian, they can let loose something unpleasant. ;)
Thanks, I thought they were nice, too.

Yeah one of the snakes did let something unpleasant loose on me... before I put on the gloves unfortunately. x_x

One of my favorites, too. And they are indeed harmless. Didn't even try to bite. Oh really? I thought those words were interchangeable. My bad, I'll fix that.
The difference is that poison has to be ingested, venom has to be injected.

Awesome! I think I found a baby one a few months ago.... it was tiny! probably 3-4 inches

May have been an adult, brown snakes are a relatively small species of snake. I have never found a specimen over 12 inches here in maryland, and i find A LOT of them out here haha!

Another one i find a lot is the eastern worm snake. The adult brown snakes look a lot like baby garters at first glance!

Latest posts