32oz deli cups and Medium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering where I can get some 32oz delicups with those premade breathable lids. Also, where can I find the cheapest commercial fruit fly medium?
Buy 32 ounce deli cups without lids from a factory store online. check out ebay, not sure but im sure there are cheaper prices out there than the local K-mart lol.

cloth vented lids, beats me, cheapest place I've ever found it was superiorenterprise. 18 cents per lid, that includes shipping price when dividing it by 500 from the price of 500 lids.

media, josh's frogs is my best bet.

or.. carolina mix, but i dont really like it... 8 cups of potato flakes, 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1/8 cup of active brewer's yeast (not 1/2 or even 1/4 cup!) and 2 tea spoons of methyl paraben.

Last edited by a moderator:
Availability of the cups and lids can vary. Do a google search for insect cups. As far as the medium goes, I get mine from carolina.com A lot of people try to make their own but it always seems like a disaster.

Availability of the cups and lids can vary. Do a google search for insect cups. As far as the medium goes, I get mine from carolina.com A lot of people try to make their own but it always seems like a disaster.
Ya, I've been making my own and it just doesn't stand the test of time. On the Carolina medium, when I click on it, it says that it is no longer available.

Thanks, I must have been looking at a different one.
The layout of their website truly does stink. Whenever I go look at stuff for ff's I just search on drosophila. That seems to bring it all up.

My Ap Biology teacher places frequent orders with them for our labs. I wonder if he gets some sort of educators discount.
Maybe. If you can arrange a hook up through your instructor that will open some doors for you. They only sell some stuff to schools.

If you are still having trouble finding the medium, go to the search box at the top of the Carolina home page and type in Formula 4-24 . Get the plain stuff since you won't be counting larvae. Your teacher won't get a discount on this -- you can have it sent direct to you -- but Rick is right, it's always a good idea to make contacts and he may be able to help you with something else down the line.

Among the many suppliers of cups and lids, I always mention Mantisplace. Hibiscusmile, a member here, offers two kinds of lids and many different kinds of cups. They are a few cents more than the others, but her store exclusively sells mantis supplies and mantids and she is the only vendor who has practical experience with what she sells.