4th time the charm...?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arwen9

Reaction score
Success!

haha. I've got two adult males and one adult female Chinese. They've been adult for several weeks now, so I started attempting to mate them. Using Rick's method, I might add. :)

Both males quite happy to go for her every time, but she kept freaking out whenever they got too close or tried to jump on. What cracked me up was that she's well-fed and rounded, been calling and everything, but didn't like the males on her or something. :rolleyes:

But today, finally, I managed it. The male leaped for her, she freaked out again, and I stuck a bamboo skewer within reach to keep her raptor claws occupied and while I was doing that, my male didn't fly away (like he had the last four times in the last few weeks) He shifted and got a better hold on her, and she abruptly settled down and quit squirming. I have no idea WHY it worked, but whatever.

Quite relieved and happy. :lol:

Hopefully I can convince her to accept my other male too later on. I've heard it's a good idea to re-mate after an ooth is laid?

Liz

Good job!, to you and the mantids. :lol: I raised 8 Chinese mantids to adult and sadly, wasn't able to breed them, I tried hard too. I had 6 females and 2 males. The females would lay down with their claws straight forward, ready to mate, but the males didn't step up to the plate. <_< They would ride around and not connect, or fly away. One male died early for some strange reason, and the other just had bad timing and was eaten.

Latest posts