6 survivors- any tips for release?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathi K

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

Not sure if you remember my story- I took a nest of mantises that hatched in my friend's Christmas tree this winter. Six of them have survived the winter(and my lack of expertise). I live in Pennsylvania and I think the weather should be fit to release them in the next few weeks. Is there anything special I need to do when I release them? Any tips?

Here was my original thread with a pic that someone identified as Chinese, I think?

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28531

Hello Kathi,

I live in Southeastern PA and might have similar weather conditions. Yes, my advice is to wait until the end of April, if you want to be safe. Release them in an area full of thick, low-lying bushes (think forsythia) and high wild grasses (edge of woods or pond). I would not release them on an open lawn (think pesticides and predators). You're going to keep one or two for sure, yes ?

Digger said it, he thinks end of April is good, then go with that. As long as it stays warm in the evenings, not getting much below 60 they should do ok.

Ok- thanks! I'm Southcentral PA- about 2.5 hours west of you Digger, so that should be good. I hadn't planned on keeping one but now you're making me think. It has been such a great experience for my daughters to watch and help care for these guys. How long do they live in captivity?

Latest posts