7 Mantids Dead Because of Me

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdreamchas3r913

Reaction score
I'm really really sorry about his novel of a post, I understand if you don't read this. I really do. And if this is in the wrong section, I'm so sorry, please delete or move this. If anyone is reading this, I know I haven't been on the forum in awhile, and I'm sorry that my coming back post is a such a huge rant, but I just wanted to share a huge lesson I learned today that should have been apparent to me much earlier than this...I know that most of this was my fault and that I could have easily prevented this had I done everything I could and should have done for my pets. Until today I had been keeping 12 Limbatas. I had been keeping most of them since they were about L3 or 4 since I caught them all in my grandparents' backyard. I kept each in a good size plastic tupperware...For the most part, they were fine and for most of the males, they were always a good size...Since I had never found so many mantids in the garden before, I was incredibly enthusiastic about mating as many as I could so that I could release the nymphs in the garden. It was a selfish and cruel goal considering that I had caught so many and could only keep them in tupperware... But miraculously, not one of them ever died...other than two mismolted males, I still had 10 healthy mantids. And although one of the males was worse off then the other, to the point where I had to handfeed him, the other could still hunt fine and would probably have corrected his bent hind leg in the next molt or two. In any case, I didn't think too much of their quality of life...It wasn't until the females started nearing adulthood that I even thought about the possibility that their homes probably weren't suitable at all for adult mantids, especially for the females. I noticed that although they were mostly healthy, other than the two mismolts, a couple of females that were one molt away from adults were beginning to run away from food that they could have easily tackled as young nymphs. Those same two females also began moving much slower and just seemed to be weakening. At that point, I was finally considering to let some or most of them go, but I was also worried that the less energetic females might not be able to survive if they were suddenly freed. To be honest, I really just feel like I wasn't thinking anything through enough. I was being selfish and unfair. I had claimed my entire life to love mantids, but I was treating them like they weren't living things, like they were items that I only pretended to care about so that I could have the pleasure of watching them for a bit a few times a day. I couldn't even care enough to think about their habitats!!! I'm so very sorry to anyone who has been reading this...I just have alot to say right now and I feel like not many people would listen to a rant about insect pets...

<br>

But this is the worst part...Today, we had scheduled an exterminator to come and kill the cockroaches that recently started turning up in our kitchen. Our family was to leave the house for 4 or 5 hours while the exterminators the did their job. Obviously, I was wondering where I could leave my mantids until the job was done. Eventually me and my mom decided to leave our dog and mantids at a friend's house as we all had plans for the day. They agreed they would care for our pets until we picked them up later in the day. When we dropped them off, my mom told them to make sure the mantids were not exposed to the sun for too long since their containers would trap heat....That's when I should have realized how little responsibility I was taking for my insects. My MOM had to tell them that. And it only gets worse. They decide to put the mantids on top of a table they had in their patio, where it was shady. I didn't even take the time to ask them to check up on them periodically, to take them inside if it was getting too hot, I didn't even think anything could go wrong... I was so excited to be going with my friend to a freerunning gym that I hadn't been to in awhile and all I was thinking about was how I could finally try flips I hadn't done before, and improve everything I did know. It was all about me. We left and I went to the gym. I spent all day hanging out, doing what I wanted to do, and didn't think twice about the 12 lives I had left in the hands of someone who didn't have a clue what to do with a praying mantis. Of course, that night when I picked up my pets and brought them into the car, most of my mantids were dead. When I got home, I told my mom about the incident and she called my friend's mom. It turned out that they had left the mantids outside on the table all day, and had put some sort of cover or sheet over all of them so that they would be in shade. Of course, the tupperware had trapped all the heat the day could offer, and the sheet that covered them ensured that even more heat would be trapped.

<br>

I spent the next half hour by myself, blaming my friend and his family for my loss. I think this was a much needed wake up call for me. After I had calmed down I finally realized everything that I had done wrong. That every single mantid could have been saved if I had just cared enough. My friend had done nothing wrong and could not be blamed. He did what he thought was best and putting a sheet over my insects (as bad an idea as it was) was probably much more than what anyone else would have done. I could not expect him to have cared for them better than he did because they were just insects. Instead, I should have been the one who made sure that they would be well cared for. After all, I was the person who supposedly cared for them. But I had thought of my mantids' wellbeing no more than he did. And they were supposed to be MY pets. Because of my lack of consideration, narrow mindedness, and selfishness, I have had more mantids die prematurely because of me today than I have my entire life. To further prove my lack of responsibility, I returned home to discover that I had forgotten one of my mantids at home. It didn't make me feel any better when I found that it was perfectly fine, that had I left them all home, none would have died. But that wasn't all I could have done either. I could have prevented this in so many ways. I know this is probably the longest post anyone has ever typed on this forum and that it would probably take an incredibly long time to read...I'm terribly sorry for taking up so much time for you guys if you're reading this. I just have not felt so bad about myself in a long time. But like I said, if this never happened, I would not have gotten the slap in the face that I definitely needed. It's about time I realized that if mantids really do mean as much to me as I claim, I should have acted on that. I could have done so much more for them if I had done what I was supposed to do...I'm sure none of you are as careless and selfish as I have been, but for anyone who has just started to or is considering raising an insect, please don't make the same mistake I did. Once you commit to keeping an animal, it's life is in your hands. Please do what you commit to, because your pet can have everything to gain, but everything to lose too.

Hey man try not to be too hard on yourself. Im sure just about everyone here has made a mistake when caring for a pet at one time or another. I know I have made many myself. We are all human and as such we make mistakes. Beating yourself up wont bring your mantids back but you can take this as a valuble learning experience and improve the quality of life for the mantids you have left and any that you have in the future. It will be ok.

You live and learn Johnny, as long as you don't make the same mistakes over and over it's just part of life, and Ok. The fact you feel so badly is testament to your growth! :)

Accidents happen and sometimes are out of our control. First thing to do is "feel sorry" and the next is to "forgive yourself". What can beating yourself up over something that's happened help now?

I am sorry for your loss,
sad.gif

thanks everyone i really appreciate it and you guys are right. i'm actually getting over it rather quickly which, when i stop to think about it, makes me feel even worse about myself. it really makes me wonder what happened to the boy that would cry whenever any mantid died on him. i know the best and only thing i can do now is to raise the surviving mantids i have with the care and attention that they always deserved and that i always owed them. i actually still have 5 left, but two aren't doing too well. i'm pretty hopeful that one of them will pull through, but the other one, a male, doesn't seem like he'll make it. does anyone know what's the best thing i can do for him? i won't be too surprised if none of you ever had this problem, as it usually indicates neglect, but if any of you have ever left a mantis in the heat for an extended period, were you able to save it? and what would be the best way to care for it? i've actually had two situations where i had to try to "revive" a mantid that was overheated. the first was many years ago, and it was completely my fault. i had left an L2 or L3 nymph in the car for an hour or so and it was pretty much dead when i got back. the crazy part was that i actually managed to save that one. it took a few days, but i had placed it on a piece of paper or napkin and put a drop of water under its head. i'm not too sure if anything i did actually helped it, but somehow, whether it was a really strong willed bug or if i had done something else, it started to move near the end of the day, and could stand the next. after another day or two, it was walking. eventually it completely recovered. i'm mentioning this because that would mean it's possible for a mantid to survive after being exposed to too much heat. the second time i tried this with another nymph that my cousin's friend had caught. i asked her if i could have it, since it was a male and i had a female. she dropped it off at my cousin's, who, being afraid of insects, decided to keep it in a cardboard box and completely seal it off with tape so that it couldn't escape. obviously, it was pretty much dead by the time i got there and opened the box. i tried to save this one as well, and although it seemed to be making progress over the next day or two, it died not too long after. the male i have now seems to have the same symptoms as the other two i had tried to save: his forelegs are folded and can't move, he can barely walk, but his other legs still have some strength and allow him to barely hold on to a twig. he looks bad, but he's also in better shape than the first nymph that had managed to recover years ago. i suppose i cant expect too much but is there anything i could actually do to help his situation? sorry again for the long ###### post...

and @Malti i am turning 20 this year...so i guess this is my last real year of being a "teen". thanks again everyone and if anyone knows what i could do to help the little guy please let me know!!! take care everyone!

i would make th humidity alittle higher and give him lots of water too drink. Also if he isnt able to catch prey you could do what i do for my mantid who cant use his raptorial arms. Put a feeder on a tooth pick an put it to their mouths.

yes! thank you shieldmantid! i can't believe i didn't think about feeding him like that! i will be sure to mist him too. what would you recommend feeding him? should i give him little bits of crickets? or honey? thank you for your advice!

It happens to everyone, dont be so down on yourself. Live and learn. Mantids do not live very long anyway.

honey is fun to feed them! but as far as feeders i would say a cricket and just skewer it on a tooth pick and you can either just hold it there or you can (with tweezers) put the bug to his mouth and sometimes they will take it from the tweezers. That's what i do for my violin with a messed up leg.

Johnny take this as a wake up call, everyone does stupid things - atleast you reflected on what you did, now best part would be not to do it again :)AS "repayment" to nature, you could always care for a couple of them and get some ooths, and release the nymphs :)

If you understand that nature murders greater than 99% of growing mantids you might not feel so bad. Most female mantids produce hundreds or thousands of offspring and for a stable population an average of two (one male and one female) survive to adulthood each generation. If a hobbyist had a record anywhere remotely close to that of nature they'd be a disgrace.

yea thanks again everyone i feel better now. =) i dont exactly have any better enclosures for them yet but i did switch around a couple so that at least one female (the weaker and sick looking one) would have more room. i've been misting them a bit more and gave them alot more twigs and sticks to climb and molt on. the weak looking female wasnt doing very well and had alot of black fluid, or just watery droppings building up on the tip of her abdomen. i was kinda worried but i noticed her wing buds getting more prominent so i switched her into the larger container i had and added plenty of sticks for footholds. and i misted her. this morning i was very happy/relieved to discover that she had molted into a beautiful adult without any complications and that her butt looked perfectly clean =). the only one i'm still concerned about is the weak male but he seems to be doing better each day. haha so i should just skewer a live one and just put it in his face until he's done eating? would the wiggling cricket intimidate him in his condition? and i don't know how easy it is for you guys but my arms got awfully tired just trying to feed him a few drops of water and honey yesterday! lol i will most likely have to take multiple breaks with a full cricket! i never realized how much more the slightest twitch of your hand is magnified compared to the tiny mouth of a mantis! it was very very difficult to hold the toothpick still enough so that he could drink. well he looks pretty plump but hasnt actually eaten anything for at least a couple days. i'll try to feed him a cricket now but he probably wont finish it! hopefully he'll take a few bites tho =) thank you all for your support and words and yes! i do plan on getting a few ooths out of the ones i have left and help increase the population we have in our garden! i'll probably try to raise as many as i can to L2 tho before i do tho hopefully that can help lower that 99% death rate a bit (which totally breaks my heart to think about! all those poor babies..) thank you all so much i will probably post another topic soon to notify you guys of their condition and mating situation! thanks again everyone =) take care of yourselves and your wonderful pets!

I've had a lot of HUGE mantis failures

me not being able to care for a whole ooth hatchout

not providing enough ventilation

so many more, but this is the one that I think sticks out in my mind

my experiences with pseudoharpax virescens

1st try: got a free ooth, 2 hatched but i had no flies, they died because banana and honey didn't cut it

2nd try: got ooths and 6 hatchlings but the food ran out too quickly

3rd try: got 2 adult pairs but they failed to breed

4th try: got 10 L4 nymphs but they didn't get proper ventilation and i gave them too much moisture

5th try: got another free ooth but it wasn't fertile

6th try: got 2 ooths that didn't have a hope of hatching, but they did and I now have an L4 pair and an L5 pair

so it took me a while to get it right with one of the easiest mantises in the hobby, so don't be too hard on yourself, you live and you learn, and persitence pays off

one of my teachers always said "you get better only by learning from failure"

We all make mistakes, I had an ooth hatch a couple of years ago and left it near the window, later that day when i came home ALL of the nymphs (30+) had died from the heat.

Now they all live well away from the window.

You just need to make sure that you learn from your mistake and dont do the same things again (reading your post i doubt you will make the same mistake again)

Not too long ago, I had one of many Stagmomantis carolina oothecae burst hatch. I already had all the nymphs that I wanted for my breeding, and I had previously released many cups of nymphs without a problem.

I ignorantly took the cup outside in the brutal S.Florida heat, a little while after 12PM(I usually do this in the mornings when it is not so hot yet). Within 2 minutes of being outdoors, over half of the nymphs dropped to the bottom of the open cup, started wiggling their abdomens like little worms, and were dying! :(

I learned the hard way, that my little nymphs couldn't handle being moved from my air conditioned home into the heat. I can obviously feel the change in temps and humidity, and even get lightheaded, when I walk outside. :mellow:

I still feel terrible about my ignorance that day. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! You think thats bad! When i was a teen. I had went to the park with a bunch of my friends to hangout. I had found a couple of chinese ooths. I put them in the inside pocket of my leather jacket. Do to rules, and regulations of this forum. I can post why i had forgot all about them in my pocket. :rolleyes: Anyway that following fall i started to ware my leather jacket again. I put my hand into the inside pocket, only to dicover both ooths had hatched! I stuck my hand into hundreds of dead nymphs. :( I felt so horrible! :( All those poor nymphs! :(

Wow! You think thats bad! When i was a teen. I had went to the park with a bunch of my friends to hangout. I had found a couple of chinese ooths. I put them in the inside pocket of my leather jacket. Do to rules, and regulations of this forum. I can post why i had forgot all about them in my pocket. :rolleyes: Anyway that following fall i started to ware my leather jacket again. I put my hand into the inside pocket, only to dicover both ooths had hatched! I stuck my hand into hundreds of dead nymphs. :( I felt so horrible! :( All those poor nymphs! :(
you had to use two hands...that must have been a big pear! :lol:

Latest posts