911 i2 Blepharopsis mendica, cup ideas

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hysteresis

Reaction score
Hey guys. 

4oz cups with full organza mesh lids. But how do I rig up a climbing surface/surfaces for such tiny nymphs that can't climb plastic on their own? 

Halp! 

The mesh fabric used for see through sections of dresses. It is very inexpensive. You cut a square to fit under the lid and narrow strip to climb up. Both held in place by lid. I found some in fabric section of Walmart. It was $2 US for enough to last years.

Line inside the whole container. Maybe a couple pieces excelsior aspen. Good luck. The excelsior would also allow them to climb up.

I couldn't think of the name of the fabric. I will use it for Ghost Mantises

Last edited by a moderator:
I line my cups with tulle fabric as it doesn't obstruct the view inside the cage and provides very good grip. Use hot glue to secure it in and make sure every edge is glued, otherwise a mantis could wiggle between the cup and the mesh and get trapped.

- MantisGirl13

I line my cups with tulle fabric as it doesn't obstruct the view inside the cage and provides very good grip. Use hot glue to secure it in and make sure every edge is glued, otherwise a mantis could wiggle between the cup and the mesh and get trapped.

- MantisGirl13
Thats what has held me up tonight. Seven i2 nymphs that need special cups. On top of two kids and a wife that want my attention right now, that I need my focus settling these mantises in. 

They're perched up top for now and seem to have eaten enough. 

Le sigh.... 

The tulle lines cups are not hard to make.

For now, I suggest temporarily lining the cages with a tissue or paper towel. No hot glue needed, but no visibility. Just take a square of paper towel or tissue and push it inside the cup, folding it to shape. Put the mantis in and out the lid on and the lid will hold the tissue or paper towel. Figure out a more permanent solution tomorrow.

- MantisGirl13

I think excelsior will work. My lids are already full mesh. I'll just stuff the cups full of melanos. 😂

Thanks y'all. Man, I'm not handling stress well today. 😱

Thistletini

• A couple strands of excelsior glued onto the inside lip of a 5.5oz cup.
  • A cotton pad in each with a few drops of water or a quick superfine pump ( directly into the cotton ) once or twice a day to keep humidity 40-50% under high heat.
  • Full organza lid.
  • Fruit flies.
  • Quick shake, and serve. 😂
20190517_201042.jpg

20190517_201114.jpg

Nice setup! I'd still add a strip of something on the side for more area to climb to the lid. Not much, just a couple inches of something.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts