A Brit in Japan who grew to love mantids.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManInJapan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am Simon, an Englishman who has been living just outside Tokyo, Japan for nearly 20 years.
When I first arrived, there were many culture shocks - not least of which being the local fauna. Some of this, I have never got used to; cockroaches and mosquitos everywhere, hand-sized huntsman spiders and huge, poisonous centipedes (one of which was found in my bed).
Other creatures, whilst unsettling at first, have now become pleasantly familiar (the all-pervasive drone of cicada in summer) and even very welcome - the most welcome of all being the beautiful and fascinating praying mantis.
Known to the Japanese as kamakiri ('sickle-cutter'), our dominant species is Tenodera aridifolia, the Japanese giant mantis. A common visitor to the potted trees on our small balcony (alas, gardens are only for temples, shrines or the wealthy in Japan), my wife and I have grown to love these amazing creatures. Sometimes they have bred and we have been privileged to see their tiny offspring in the following spring, before they dispersed far and wide.

This month, something special happened; we were watering the trees at dusk and saw not one, but two mantids in the branches of our ginko tree (itself grown from a seed picked up in the rather notorious Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo). As there was an obvious disparity in size, I guessed it was a courting pair preparing to mate and discreetly left them to it. Sure enough, when curiosity got the better of me and I went out later, I found them, still locked in coitus but with the poor little male already being snacked upon by the larger female!
The latter lady stayed on the ginko tree for the following 3 weeks and I slowly bonded with her as I watered the trees and removed pests such as caterpillars, which I then fed live to her, to help her gain strength in her pregnancy. She eventually awaited my coming and took food directly from my hand.
A couple of days ago, I was naturally highly disappointed to discover that she had totally disappeared - but not before bestowing her most precious gift of a large, beautiful ootheca attached to a high branch of the ginko.
I have now made a decision that I would like to oversee the eventual hatching of the nymphs next spring and to retain two or three of her offspring to rear myself. However, I have absolutely NO experience in such an endeavour - hence my joining this group.
I will be relying on you all to help me through my many mistakes, trials and tribulations.

Thank you in advance!!!

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_4693.jpeg
    IMG_4693.jpeg
    970.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5078.jpeg
    IMG_5078.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5080.jpeg
    IMG_5080.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0