A budwing?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herpguy

Reaction score
I had a female budwing that produces an ooth for me without mating. The ooth is irregular and large. I kept the ooth anyways though just as part of my collection. The ooth was laid about 3 months ago. A few weeks after it was laid I checked and noticed that the ooth had the signature "ooze" of a fertile ooth. I checked on the ooth today and I cut open an end, and there were eggs inside, with no rotting whatsoever. Has there ever been a recorded a budwing oothecae?

I am skeptical about if it is going to hatch, because it has been so long, but it looks healthy nonetheless.

Has anybody had experience with budwing oothecae ever taking this long? I have been neglecting it, and maybe sprayed it 3 times, with an ambient humidity of 40%, mostly because the female was never bred and it looks irregular.

What's your guys' opinions?

-Dave

What is signature ooze of a fertile ootheca??? Fertile ootheca look just like infertile ootheca. Eggs inside is normal but in an infertile ooth they will eventually dry up it just takes awhile. If she was not bred it is infertile and is not going to hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is signature ooze of a fertile ootheca??? Fertile ootheca look just like infertile ootheca. Eggs inside is normal but in an infertile ooth they will eventually dry up it just takes awhile. If she was not bred it is infertile and is not going to hatch.
I'm just thinking that because it has been over 3 months, all infertile oothecae I have seen sitting for that time have been dried up. Also, the eggs have developed since I last checked.

Anyways, I'm still skeptical, I just thought I might as well see if anybody had similar experiences.

-Dave

I'm just thinking that because it has been over 3 months, all infertile oothecae I have seen sitting for that time have been dried up. Also, the eggs have developed since I last checked.Anyways, I'm still skeptical, I just thought I might as well see if anybody had similar experiences.

-Dave
Not sure I understand what you mean by infertile oothecas dry up after three months. They still look the same as fertile ootheca on the outside. What do you mean the eggs have developed since you LAST checked? If she was not mated there will be no developing, period.

...mostly because the female was never bred and it looks irregular.What's your guys' opinions?
The ooth is not fertile. Looking irregular is the first sign to me that it is not fertile. Having not mated...makes it impossible.

What is the 'signature ooze' you're talking about?

If she's ever had contact, or more correctly, been fertilized by a male she could be fertile.

Mantids can supposedly store sperm for several ooths, so maybe...

If not, maybe you could set the caviar market on it's ear and start a new fad for the wealthy. Can you imagine if you got the demand and how little the supply would be for mantis eggs...compared to stureon or buluga :rolleyes: B) MMM MMM good Did you try them? <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
If she's ever had contact, or more correctly, been fertilized by a male she could be fertile. Mantids can supposedly store sperm for several ooths, so maybe...

If not, maybe you could set the caviar market on it's ear and start a new fad for the wealthy. Can you imagine if you got the demand and how little the supply would be for mantis eggs...compared to stureon or buluga :rolleyes: B) MMM MMM good Did you try them? <_<
That's idiotically silly to even suggest... unless you served them with the signature ooze, of course. ;)

There is almost zero probability that it will hatch. Budwings need to be fertilized in order to reproduce. If it hatches it will be a very very rare occurrence. I don't even know if it's possible, however, I do know that there have been recorded cases of parthenogenesis in species that are not asexual. I wouldn't count on your ootheca hatching, though.

Some sexual insects can reproduce parthenogenticly, some as good as a mated insect, but with species that rely on being mated the resulting off springs usually very very weaker and you`ll probably have about 2 hatch lol

Im not saying this species can do this however.

Some sexual insects can reproduce parthenogenticly, some as good as a mated insect, but with species that rely on being mated the resulting off springs usually very very weaker and you`ll probably have about 2 hatch lolIm not saying this species can do this however.
Brunners mantids can. There are very few mantids that can do this.

Latest posts