A little help please...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

Reaction score
...I have seen some orchid mantis for sale and I would like to buy one, but I have read that they wont eat crickets, is this true because I can only find one care sheet, I understand they need a high humidity and temp which is fine im just a bit worried about the feeding any tips would be much appreciated as I cant find too much info.

Thanks in advance

thanks mate, this will be the first time I have kept this species, and understand they are a relatively small so im wondering what the will eat as L1-L2 nymphs will fruit flys be the perfect size or too small? because if so I will have to order some in.

To be honest, fruit flies are pretty cheap so you can give them as many as they need - I dont think think there is such a thing as a food that is too small, apart from ants maybe..good luck keeping them!

Mine eat everything including crickets. They do prefer flying insects but mine eat things from crickets to caterpillars. I also just keep them at room temperature. They don't really seem to need high temps.

thanks mate I ordered fruit fly culture from live foods and they are tiny like little pinheads but I used to feed them to my chinese mantis when they were tiny

Mine eat everything including crickets. They do prefer flying insects but mine eat things from crickets to caterpillars. I also just keep them at room temperature. They don't really seem to need high temps.
well hopefully they will eat crickets I may buy some fruit flys just in case they wont eat them but fingers crossed, I keep my other mantids at room temp

well hopefully they will eat crickets I may buy some fruit flys just in case they wont eat them but fingers crossed, I keep my other mantids at room temp
Should be no need then to raise temps just for them. Mine do fine at room temp. Make sure it doesn't cool off too much below 70.

...I have seen some orchid mantis for sale and I would like to buy one, but I have read that they wont eat crickets, is this true because I can only find one care sheet, I understand they need a high humidity and temp which is fine im just a bit worried about the feeding any tips would be much appreciated as I cant find too much info.Thanks in advance
Mine eat crickets. The trick is to get the right size of cricket--about the same size as a normal housefly will get the mantids' attention. The other thing is the enclosure--crickets may not be able to get where the mantis is "hanging" out. The cricket should be able to crawl around, just like a fly crawling around. I also suggest feeding them for at least a day with a gutloading cricket food (see the reptile section of a pet store) to clean out the crickets' system and make them a nutritious food. Not all pet stores feed their crickets in a healthy way.

Anthony

To be honest, fruit flies are pretty cheap so you can give them as many as they need - I dont think think there is such a thing as a food that is too small, apart from ants maybe..good luck keeping them!
they eat ants fine at 2nd instar but at 3rd they are too small for them from what I can see!

Latest posts