A Mantis I've found

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea. A very sad day for me today and I'm glad it's almost over. I really loved my mantid, and she really warmed up to me in no time. Looked forward to coming home and feeding it, and holding it once in awhile. :( :( There's always tomorrow, which I'm able to now avoid the problem from here on out. Either way, it's best to be safe than sorry, and tomorrow is always a fresh start. :D

She's doing ok. Not sure how long she can make it in her current state, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's doing ok. Not sure how long she can make it in her current state, though.
She'll be fine. She won't be perfect but she will do OK. You can keep her in a small container and just throw her some food now and then. I don't think she'll be too much trouble. Looks like she can walk and use her claws. If her mouth is malformed and she can't eat then she won't last long, but I would guess she was just about all the way out of the skin when she fell. Give her a few days to recover then offer some food and see how it goes.

Precarious and the other kindly soulls here have tried to help you. Precarious says, rightly, that he is not picking on you; I am. First, you fail to care for your mantis properly, despite help, notably Doug's, from this forum. Secondly, when it is crippled and no longer "cute", you want neither to care for it, and it certainly seems salvageable, nor kill it. Instead, you want to put it out in the wild where it will be eaten, if it is lucky, or starve to death, if it is not, just so that you can pretend that you are being humane. You don't care if it dies, as it certainly will; you just don't want to see it happen.And then you abandoned the thread, just like you are about to abandon the mantis, rather than face your responsibility

What angered me most, though, was your saying that Ismart's post was "full of hate". First, son, you don't merit hatred, a little pity, perhaps, maybe a small dose of contempt, but not hatred; that's for grown ups.. Secondly, Ismart has been giving cheerful, friendly, expert advice on this forum for years and is always calm and understanding when folks like me are blowing their stacks. It's a bit late for an abject apology, but it wouldn't do any harm.

Precarious says that he would probably not sell you mantids. I certainly wouldn't, and I trust that anyone who has read this post will not, either. Collecting teaspoons is a pleasant hobby; your friends will be able to touch them without being "grossed out", and they amost never mismolt.

@FendersRule, I believe that you were a little surprised and disgusted to see what happens when a mantis mismolts. It seems as if you cared for your mantis, but may have freaked out a little when things didn't go well for her. Personally, I was offended by the words and phrases "not a fun pet" and "gross". Also, that you were going to release a deformed mantis that could possibly have a decent life if cared for.

I don't believe that any mantis messes itself up intentionally. They are not one of the most intelligent creatures around, and many times we have to think and plan for them, just like most pets when they are not in their natural environment. I believe that there is nothing natural about most captive creatures' lives, but I try my best to give them everything they need.

I understand that you may have thought, or think that a mismolted mantis is beyond help. That is not always the case, but now that you are armed with more knowledge about their husbandry, you seem to be sticking around.

As long as you assume responsibility for your captive pets, I will have to give you credit for trying to do your best, even after such an experience, which includes the criticism you recieved from members. ;)

There are some bad cases where a mismolted mantis should be euthanized, as is mentioned in many posts on this forum. Some people do it because they are breeding on a high scale, and simply have too many animals to care for a cripple. Even Hibiscusmile, who keeps more creatures than I can even think about having at once, has been known to care for mantids that don't even have claws.

Injured creatures always hold a special place in my heart, and I hope to hear news about yours whether the outcome is good, or bad, so long as you try to care for her.

Another member stated that there are people who will be happy to care for her, and even touch and hold her, if you don't want to.

Precarious and the other kindly soulls here have tried to help you. Precarious says, rightly, that he is not picking on you; I am. First, you fail to care for your mantis properly, despite help, notably Doug's, from this forum. Secondly, when it is crippled and no longer "cute", you want neither to care for it, and it certainly seems salvageable, nor kill it. Instead, you want to put it out in the wild where it will be eaten, if it is lucky, or starve to death, if it is not, just so that you can pretend that you are being humane. You don't care if it dies, as it certainly will; you just don't want to see it happen.And then you abandoned the thread, just like you are about to abandon the mantis, rather than face your responsibility

What angered me most, though, was your saying that Ismart's post was "full of hate". First, son, you don't merit hatred, a little pity, perhaps, maybe a small dose of contempt, but not hatred; that's for grown ups.. Secondly, Ismart has been giving cheerful, friendly, expert advice on this forum for years and is always calm and understanding when folks like me are blowing their stacks. It's a bit late for an abject apology, but it wouldn't do any harm.

Precarious says that he would probably not sell you mantids. I certainly wouldn't, and I trust that anyone who has read this post will not, either. Collecting teaspoons is a pleasant hobby; your friends will be able to touch them without being "grossed out", and they amost never mismolt.
Will you give it a F*#@ing rest? Don't patronize me again. You have no idea who you are talking to. And sorry, you are wrong. Several people have problems touching insects alone. Several more people have problems touching deformed/crippled insects. I'm fine with it, but my pet is also here for interaction with my friends and family. Besides, have you even read past page 2 to know that I still have it? Don't even care, so don't even respond.

Secondly, you act as though I intentionally harmed my mantis. To you and the few others: sheesh. Thanks to the ones who remained understanding, and cool headed about this situation, which is most of you seems like. :)

Definitely a NO THANKS (and a middle finger) to the people who act as though I intentionally harmed my mantis, and deferred me as a "terrible" owner just because I let her molt on the top of my critter keeper, which a lot of people do. You people should be slapped every which way possible. I have no business hearing from you, so I don't care to see your response. Good day. :p

I feel sorry for that mantis.
sad.gif
That's some composure FendersRule. No middle fingers here!
punk.gif
flowers.gif
laugh.gif

Will you give it a F*#@ing rest? Don't patronize me again. You have no idea who you are talking to. And sorry, you are wrong. Several people have problems touching insects alone. Several more people have problems touching deformed/crippled insects. I'm fine with it, but my pet is also here for interaction with my friends and family. Besides, have you even read past page 2 to know that I still have it? Don't even care, so don't even respond.

Secondly, you act as though I intentionally harmed my mantis. To you and the few others: sheesh. Thanks to the ones who remained understanding, and cool headed about this situation, which is most of you seems like. :)

Definitely a NO THANKS (and a middle finger) to the people who act as though I intentionally harmed my mantis, and deferred me as a "terrible" owner just because I let her molt on the top of my critter keeper, which a lot of people do. You people should be slapped every which way possible. I have no business hearing from you, so I don't care to see your response. Good day. :p
I understand that you are upset about the whole unfortunate situation, and can't blame you for feeling the way that you do.

I don't believe that any forum member thinks that you intentionally harmed your mantis. I hope that no one actually thinks that it was on purpose?

I believe that some forum members, including I, were upset and offended by what you planned to do about the situation, and because of some of the discompassionate comments that you made about the mantis and her appearance. Also that you readily wanted to get a new one, without putting much effort into finding the easily obtained knowledge and rearing techniques.

Don't expect to just have someone write a book, just for you on your thread, because you found a mantis and wanted to keep it. That kind of just happens because of our concern for the creatures. ;)

Much of this can be excused by your initial lack of knowledge, and a couple of good things happened from this situation:

You now have much more knowledge and preparation for keeping mantids.

You are planning to give the poor mantis a chance at a life?

Someone finally made a simple and practical tutorial, designed to inform newcomers, and some experienced mantid keepers, of some great ideas on how to design containers with the creatures' well being in mind. :D

Not just an obscene gesture, but a physical threat as well? Followed by a smiley face? Some of our kindly members think that kindness and understanding will work, but you and I know better, don't we? You have a long history of lashing out (acting out) at anyone who criticizes you, don't you? Kindness may be soothing, but it does not adress your serious central issues. You will be sweet and understanding until you imagine that someone crosses you again.Your obviously untreated issues are not my concern, thank goodness, but I wouldn't trust you near one of my mantids.

Not just an obscene gesture, but a physical threat as well? Followed by a smiley face? Some of our kindly members think that kindness and understanding will work, but you and I know better, don't we? You have a long history of lashing out (acting out) at anyone who criticizes you, don't you? Kindness may be soothing, but it does not adress your serious central issues. You will be sweet and understanding until you imagine that someone crosses you again.Your obviously untreated issues are not my concern, thank goodness, but I wouldn't trust you near one of my mantids.
And you, along with like, one other person, deserve that "obscene" gesture. Accept it, and let it sink in.

As I've said: good day, and I don't care hearing from you and the other pretentious, antagonizing, crude, and patronizing cohorts. That includes about 2 people out of this entire thread. You included. Now, "bugger" off and allow the people who are actually understanding and helpful to chime in who haven't made attack to my character because of an accident. :blink:

Thanks for the help to the rest! I've got a new habitat as of yesterday with steel grating.

It is Mantis religiosa. I can tell by the mark in between it's raptorial legs. It is a female. I am so jealous of this specimen :p .