• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

A plea to my fellow animal-lovers...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenOasis

Reaction score
I have recently received a frilled dragon as a rescue.

She was left in a rental house, and was there for 1-2 weeks with no food (although, apparently had access to some water). She is in okay shape, but very skinny. I will have some food on the way from Zephyr (an awesome roach breeder!) and some worms coming from Mulberry Farms, but she will be needing more like 1-2 dozen insects per DAY until she is of an appropriate size again.

I'm looking for anyone that has a large amount of roaches, silkworms, hornworms or even superworms that they can part with fairly inexpensively. If you're needing to thin out a colony, this would be an awesome reason to do it.

Here's a picture of the "as of yet unnamed" girl!

frilly.jpg

As you can see, she is not happy and it is going to take some time to get her used to us & more responsive...but she could've been in so much worse shape.

My friend, who has been rescuing animals for awhile now, also has a Uromastyx that some owner basically left to starve to death & then asked her to take it when she went to his house to buy snakes. There were many tears shed over that animal, thinking that she would die, for the following weeks. She was nothing but skin stretched over bones when she first got her. (She is much happier & healthier now in my friend's care.)

People like this make me so mad that I can't see straight and I don't understand why someone would just LEAVE such a beautiful & sweet animal as this frilled dragon (or neglect the Uromastyx, for that matter!) :angry:

Anywho, I should stop while I'm ahead, but please message me if you have anything that you can offer to help me get this frilled dragon girl back up to snuff. She will be our pet, so please don't ask if she is for sale/adoption!

THANKS SO MUCH, GUYS!

:D

-Carey Kurtz-

OMG, Carey! So good of you to take her under your wing! What a sad situation, indeed!!!!

Since I don't have any bugs to extend to you, I shall instead wish you my best wishes for her recovery, as well as my hopes that you receive the much needed nurishment for her that you requested. Please update us to let us know how she is doing!

My best,

Lauren

you might have better luck on the chameleonforums.com, just because they have larger feeders, if your not a member i can post this info with your contact info, just pm me if interested.

Thanks ...John? (I seem to remember you ordering from me before, but feel free to correct me if I got the name wrong!)

I have also posted on the roach forum, since a lot of folks there keep huge colonies that need thinning occasionally. ;)

And thanks, Lauren. Yes, it seems a tragedy that someone would THROW AWAY an animal that I have waited a lifetime, it seems, to get! So, she will be well-cared for here.

I am tentatively thinking of naming her "Savannah" after the character in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome....where I first saw & fell in love with these guys!

yes John is right. I posted it for you and requested all replys to go to your [email protected] email or the green oasis one. Maybe someone will help over there. They do alot of dubias and hornworms.

I would not over compensate for her lack of food while alone. I think it would be healthier if you fed her normal amounts (or maybe a little bit more) rather than allowing her to gorge herself.

I have some roaches I can part with. Just send me an email at [email protected] if you still need some.

Kara is a great girl to work with, she is very generous. I would use horn worms, I have pods for $4.00 or I could sell you cooked food for dirt cheapo while you get eggs else where. I hope this beautiful animal recovers.

Thanks guys! She hasn't tried to overeat at all. In fact, she seems to be a fairly shy eater. I think the stress of having changed homes 3 times in less than a month made her somewhat skittish. (That, and the fact that females of this species are almost always shy.)

I now have her eating out of my hands, though, LITERALLY! Started doing it with the hornworms (those were her favorite), but now she will also take roaches from my hand. I would say she is adjusting well. :D

She is currently eating about 6-8 medium roaches a day and looks pretty good. Legs are still thin, but I sneak butterworms in there on occasion. I don't think they are a favorite of hers, but she'll eat them when I'm not looking. ;)

I have an area set up for her to run now, but she seems content to just sit there. She's still cautious about getting picked up, but will mostly sit still while I have her on me.

Brian, I actually pupated some of the hornworms I had gotten before, so now I'm just waiting/hoping that they will eclose soon. I already have chow.

I will have to see if I can snap a pic of her eating from my hands one of these days & post it up on here, so you guys can see how she's doing!

Thanks for all the help & support! (No, I don't need anymore bugs for her now.) :D

Hi Carrie , well PSsh has the right idea I'm sure you may know this already

She has been starved !!! Sucks

But doing exams on reptiles daily you actually don't want to feed her more right now but actually less than you would a healthy frilled of her age and size as when starved and then fed a bit to much there kidneys and liver can't process food the right way and will cause lioemic shock and kill her faster best to feed smaller meals a few times a day ;) keep here 5 f higher than normal and more water a little fruit flavored pedialite will do sub q fluids would do wonders but im sure u can't do that I wish you and her the best of luck I'm almost sure in your care she will recover awsome best luck ; )

Chrisp

Latest posts