A positively random question.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Imports from countries outside of the EU

Any imports from non-EU Member States into the UK must be via a Border Inspection Post (BIP).

You must give 24 hours prior notice by a Common Veterinary Entry Document (CVED) which can be obtained from your local Animal Health Divisional Office or BIP. Part 1 must be completed and returned to the BIP of entry into the EU."

i think i shouldnt have pasted this. i think that's the regulation for importing other vertebrate animals

Alan Stubbs said that he it's easier to declare it at the airport, but like what MJ has said, it's easier to just send the parcel by post back home. When packed properly, mantids should survive a 7 days trip. Mortality depends on our great and glorious british weather, i had quite a few mortality when i was sent some Phyllovates from America in September when the temperature was starting to drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.... wouldn't they get concerned at a gigantic unreadable mass passing under their machines, and want to check it out? I had a metal tin in my purse and they completely wigged out on me for it... then again, that was metal. And when you say "big towel," it makes me think of a bath towel. How big a towel for something the size of like an 8oz cup like this one:
8ozCup400.jpg

?

And as far as the fruit flies go (and aside from the fact that I need to get my hands on a culture and split up the colony so I have more later on...), I'm thinking I'll just stuff the vial into one of the mantises transportation enclosure... thingies. Tell me if this is a bad idea, haha ^_^

And another thing... if they do indeed find the mantis, and have a major problem with them... what will happen to them? I've never really had anything taken away from me at an airport (save one of the two lighters I was carrying and a Gatorade...), so will they just huck them in the trash, or let me send them to myself? Should I bring heat packs with me in case they tell me to mail them to myself?

Thanks!

-CaseyK
Well, then it'd probably be a good idea to get a small luggage and put it in there - for that one I'd say one of those hand towels, maybe two around it. Once (or if) you get past the x-rays, you can "go to the bathroom" and unload the mantis from your luggage into your purse or something. There is always a risk for it though, I've just never been caught. I've done it around seven times. :p Since I've never been caught, I don't know what they would do. They would probably confiscate it from you, I have no idea if they'll let you send it to yourself, sorry!

The most risk-free way to do it is like what you said earlier: let someone come in and take care of them. But we all get leery doing this, and whenever we allow someone to care for our mantids we'll blame them if there is a death, even if it was not their fault. It's really up to you. Maybe you can send your mantids in a package to a fellow forum member to take care of? Then that way, at least you have someone more experienced than a neighbor coming in to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts