A prosthesis for an old female

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried putting honey on it? Honey can destroy infections. It helped one of mine who had injured its eyes during molting.

Here it is my upgraded prosthesis

p1010006vg.jpg

p1010007dd.jpg

this is seriously amazing to me. i am still in OMG mode

Have you tried putting honey on it? Honey can destroy infections. It helped one of mine who had injured its eyes during molting.
I wonder if that's even possible. Unlike us the mantis is covered with a hard exoskeleton and they can't absorb fluids through it like our skin can. I might reconsider if we're speaking of the abdomen but in this case it's the most hard part of the body

Well, The prosthesis female is finally gone. Died yesterday due to old age. I thought she could live until Christmas or new year but I was too optimistic. All of her back legs had infections spreading up to her body. Also, nasty black spots with red rings around them on the abdomen made me guess she won't live long and sure enough 2 days later she died.

I pinned her in a different way than the other mantids as symbol of a memorable mantis.

p1010013s.jpg

She had some trouble eating these last 2 weeks. Not because of old age but she wore off her jaws by chewing all the time on the prosthesis. That's the only negative aspect of making a prosthesis for mantis I guess. Take a look at these pics taken one month apart from each other. that's some serious chewing.

p1010017ft.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed Sticky. I've used honey at tibia dislocations, and the "stump" end remains healthy with the remainder of the leg.

I am curious about whether the mantis ingested parts of the prosthesis. Also, if it may have been harmful to her.

Did she pass any metal in her frass?

I am curious about whether the mantis ingested parts of the prosthesis. Also, if it may have been harmful to her.

Did she pass any metal in her frass?
I was wondering that too. Good thing I replaced the substrate with paper towel and cotton layers. Makes my quest to find suspicious droppings easier, lol.

I didn't find anything abnormal though. But I'm not sure if a bug can eat something inedible by mistake. Unlike us they need a longer while to crush and turn food into a paste and pass through all those mouth parts. I'm not saying that it's not possible, just seems unlikely. Maybe very small fragments would pass harmlessly through the digestive system.

Does anyone know what bacteria/fungus causes this? I have a little guy, Boo-boo, who has fallen from my hand and has black knees. I cut one off. It looked good for awhile but now is re-infected and spreading again.

Another knee is black but is not spreading.

Should I cut the spreading infected leg at the joint next to the body? Or is it hopeless for him?

Does anyone know what bacteria/fungus causes this? I have a little guy, Boo-boo, who has fallen from my hand and has black knees. I cut one off. It looked good for awhile but now is re-infected and spreading again.

Another knee is black but is not spreading.

Should I cut the spreading infected leg at the joint next to the body? Or is it hopeless for him?
I think you should cut it at the joint