A small curiosity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domanating

Reaction score
You know those black spots on the underside of M. Religiosa's fore arms, right? They make it easy to identify the species. These spots, as you may know, can either be full black or with a tiny white spot added.

How about both?

DSCN9986.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are eye spots. When feeling threatened they spread their arms and show them off. Its part of thier threat display to try to make the animal or whatever is harrassing them think the mantis is a bigger animal looking at them.

Those are eye spots. When feeling threatened they spread their arms and show them off. Its part of thier threat display to try to make the animal or whatever is harrassing them think the mantis is a bigger animal looking at them.
Yes but they are different colors

Interesting discovery of having one of each. Looks like the eye spots are winking with one only white (open). ;)

This one hatched from an ooth of a female I mated last Autumn. If I knew what couple conceived this mantis, their own fore arm spots could say something about it. Unfortunately I don't know from which female and male he came from because I mixed up the ooths of several females when it was time to hatch them.

Latest posts