About me

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_P_2016

Reaction score
I am new to keeping mantids but have been keeping reptiles and tarantulas for quite a while now. This is a part of the hobby that several of my friends are part of and have encouraged me to start, will take any and all tips/suggestions as I am completely new. 

@Sam_P_2016 Welcome! I recommend doing your research on both mantids and breeders. You can find a lot of good info here and you can post any questions you may have and someone always answers. Your friends probably have great advice as well. 

Yeah, I do my research on anything I plan on getting ahead of time, but you know how it goes, Everyone has questions here and there that they didn't see coming and whatnot. Another reason I was recommended to this site was my friend told me to talk to a breeder from Germany which is where he gets all his mantids from. 

@Sam_P_2016 It's recommend you buy mantids from the US only, some people still buy from other countries but I've read it's against the forum rules. I personally wouldn't want to put any pet of mine through the stress of travelling for more than three days in a box, there's a possibility of it dying on the way. You can find a lot of great breeders here, you can start with bugsincyberspace.com, I bought my first mantids there, and I also buy from Mantis Monarch, you can find him here or on Facebook. You can have your mantis in two days with express shipping. Look up any breeder in the breeder feedback so you know who you're dealing with.

Hello Sam and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

@crabbypatty @Sam_P_2016 US members buying from non-US sellers is not allowed. Beyond the forum rules, see them at the top of the classified section, you really should check into the US Customs & Border Protection (CBP)/USDA/whatever all else (homeland security maybe nowadays too) laws and regulations of importing insect wildlife into the US and the consequences if caught. To do it legally you will need the proper permits, file at the US Customs office and secure a Customs Broker to handle the shipment, proper declaration on the package, and other things (see their sites for full details - which runs about $300-$700 per shipment). The permits though require a special building that meets the USDA requirements, and unless you have a couple $100 thousand laying around there is no chance of getting it pass.

@CosbyArt Thanks for the heads up!
No problem, I figured you did not know, and thought you should be warned that such activity can lead to some major trouble.

@CosbyArt haha, I knew there was more to it!
Yes, there is always a reason for any rule on the forum. :)

I went through the whole USDA list/requirements/regulations with two of their agents to become 100% legal at one point (and possibly import new species) only to find out it is impossible for the typical keeper.

This biggest issue by far is the building that houses the mantids. The building can be reconstructed to meet/pass the USDA specifications and the required inspection; however, it is cheaper to simply build a new one for the project and for the basic requirements and construction would cost at least $200,000. Then besides the building itself, there has to be special equipment inside to properly handle the mantids, and dispose of them and their waste, and other things - with proper handling/care requirements too with the stipulation that the mantids must never leave the building and all have proper paperwork/history/records and are all accounted for (with random checks I was told).

While a private individual can get the permit, the chance of anyone in the hobby having the funds to do it is about zero (I guess a millionaire might be into mantids somewhere). I still know of no-one and not heard of a single person outside of zoos/museums/universities that meet the requirements, passed the inspection, and were approved for the permit.

Welcome!  No need to buy mantises overseas, there are plenty of US sellers you can find here, on Facebook, or on the internet!

Latest posts