Acromantis formosana

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i havent noticed mine "boxing" in the same way as boxers but i do often see them holding their arms extended out in front of them, a bit like popa does.

Yep. Y'know other than their common name being Taiwan Flower Mantis, some people also call them Boxer mantises. (Although there are many other species that exhibit the same behavior that look entirely different. Take O.distinctus for example.) ;)

Well, Acromantises sometimes "box" but not as often as Oxypiluses for example, but they have other interesting behaviours like playing dead, extending forearms and sticking abdomen into pronotum.

I never noticed mine boxing but they love to spaz out and play dead a lot .I have a male who will play dead so long I figure it might have forgotten it was playing and went ahead and died

jim o

i thought i would add that i saw my female "box" for the first time yesterday. my female and male both also freak out really easily, though the female less so when she is really really well fed.

In nature this kind of behaviour makes them a little more calmer and stops conflicts and cannibalism a little. I saw my acromantis boxing but instead of using one forehand he was using both at the same time and direction :)

Edit, boxing looks like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
In nature this kind of behaviour makes them a little more calmer and stops conflicts and cannibalism a little. I saw my acromantis boxing but instead of using one forehand he was using both at the same time and direction :) Edit, boxing looks like this.

You like those little guys, don't you? :)

Sure I do :lol: . I feeded them to the max to check for gender, looks like I have 5 females and one male, he will have lot to do :p
Hehehe - the same start I had! He mated four females before one munched him, and it was my fault

I might have some additional males in the future - I still have like 15 Acromantids.

Thanks alot, so it's sort of like sizing each other up? That's why that mantis ran away, because the other's fore arms were larger? Don't other mantids do that with their abdomen (they curl it out). That's real cool. Thanks for helping me.

Oh, so boxer mantids do that, and their forearms look like boxing gloves right?

most nympths box..

L1 acromantis

2336898437_aa4e8a9bf6.jpg

i havent seen mine box yet..il have a look later..if i do see it il try to get a pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, so boxer mantids do that, and their forearms look like boxing gloves right?
yep..this is why im hoping to get them..want to get shot of there cool arms..if u can get a copy of "alien insect prayingmantis like i mentioned above u will see it..its pretty cool..im sure if u go on utube there be a video of em,.

Thanks alot, so it's sort of like sizing each other up? That's why that mantis ran away, because the other's fore arms were larger? Don't other mantids do that with their abdomen (they curl it out). That's real cool. Thanks for helping me. Oh, so boxer mantids do that, and their forearms look like boxing gloves right?
That mantis runned away because he was immature so he couldn't mate with her, he was boxing to prevent him from being eaten. When a mantis is moving abdomen (like Pseudocreobotra ocellata for example) it's trying to move like a wind. In nature this probably helps them to camouflage.

Latest posts