Acromantis Gestri/Thai Boxers

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

006fix

Reaction score
So, I recently started keeping mantids, and I got 2 giant asians, and 4 acromantis gestri, also known as Thai Boxers. However, I haven't been able to find much if any information around online about them, and special needs etc. What I can say is that they're fairly small, about 2 inches for a (I think) adult female, presumably smaller for a male. They seem fairly tolerant at least of semi-regular misting (once every 2-3 days), and don't seem to have suffered from it particuarly. They also survived 2 extremely cold nights when the heating buggered up pretty fine, despite being tropical. That said, I'd love to know if anyone else has kept this species and knows where I could find more information on it?

Sure. Heres a pic of ananke, my eldest. Almost certain she's female, and I think she's either sub-adult or adult - she really bulked up on her last molt, and her colour came in really well. I'll share what I know in case anyone else has them; I know they're not communal, but that said, they do "communicate" with other mantids/empty air/mirrors, with rhythmic movement of the raptorials - the raptorials are slightly shielded, with a red inner side, which they like to flash about. They eat most anything, but they're not the most agressive mantids - they'll often ignore the animals for ages and you'll just find it eaten sometime in the next day. They love to sit very still upside down - they seem to love the mesh lids on their containers for that, and it can be a bit hard to tell if they're molting. that said, they molt very quickly, and as best I can tell, without any kind of difficulties. They also always, always keep their abdomen curled up, I'm not quite sure why. Lovely mantids tho, very nice and placid, and very pretty to look at.

IMG_20130917_190936.jpg

IMG_20130917_190950.jpg

She's pretty, like the green on the pronotum to the wing buds, she has one more molt to adult looks like there'll be more green

welp, you were right. so much more green, and such gorgeous wings. the red on the inner raptorial shielding has decreased a lot too.

Interestingly, one of my males, who I'm pretty certain wasn't sub adult before now has wings like this as well - I wonder if its possible that this is the true sub adult phase?

IMG_20130924_205447.jpg

Latest posts