Acromantis japonica molted to adult! Obtaining the green trim.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melophile

Reaction score
Fresh out of the molt:

f9421d0c66.JPG

3429fe9793.JPG

Couple hours after the molt:

b08d0f45f5.JPG

Couple days after the molt:

bc263cad37.JPG

About a week after the molt:

62a3e7fbdc.JPG

Wow!... :D congratulations to you and (as I called her...) #2. Dmina will be proud to know another of her children successfully achieved adulthood. :)

Congrats :D

If it is anything like the two adults I now have, from Dmina too, they were crazy jumpers growing up. They are also the fastest running species I've kept so far. One of my mantids jumped off my hand seven times in a three minute period - and that was when I was trying to put it back into it's habitat safely. ;) To be honest I've been afraid to let them out as adults as I remember what they were like as nymphs, let alone now they have wings too. :D

Congrats :D

If it is anything like the two adults I now have, from Dmina too, they were crazy jumpers growing up. They are also the fastest running species I've kept so far. One of my mantids jumped off my hand seven times in a three minute period - and that was when I was trying to put it back into it's habitat safely. ;) To be honest I've been afraid to let them out as adults as I remember what they were like as nymphs, let alone now they have wings too. :D
Mine loves to jump and run :pinch: She is extremely aggressive when there is prey in her enclosure, so she'll jump at anything she lays her eyes on, but when my hand gets in there, she gets all skittish and starts running around jumping into everything.

Mine loves to jump and run :pinch: She is extremely aggressive when there is prey in her enclosure, so she'll jump at anything she lays her eyes on, but when my hand gets in there, she gets all skittish and starts running around jumping into everything.
Glad to see their sibling is the same way. ;) Exactly right for mine as well - feeding time they can tackle anything about their size or smaller, unless it's my finger and they go crazy. :D Does yours now like to fly? I'm curious if it is safe to take them out as I have cats and don't want to lose any.

Glad to see their sibling is the same way. ;) Exactly right for mine as well - feeding time they can tackle anything about their size or smaller, unless it's my finger and they go crazy. :D Does yours now like to fly? I'm curious if it is safe to take them out as I have cats and don't want to lose any.
When I place my hand inside her enclosure and she gets all skittish, she tends to flap her wings during her jumps from time to time. From all the times I have taken her out of her enclosure, which is at least once every day, she has yet to fly away from me.

EDIT: Just took her out of her enclosure to test her flying capabilities. I poked her around a bit and from what I noticed, she can't (or doesn't want to) fly long distances. It's more of a far hop. I'm guessing it's due to her heavy abdomen because I just fed her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job with the adult molt... Nice pictures also.. good catch as the wings inflated.. yes, it is nice to see them grow up.. a lot of time you never hear another thing about them once they leave home... Thanks for sharing!

When I place my hand inside her enclosure and she gets all skittish, she tends to flap her wings during her jumps from time to time. From all the times I have taken her out of her enclosure, which is at least once every day, she has yet to fly away from me.

EDIT: Just took her out of her enclosure to test her flying capabilities. I poked her around a bit and from what I noticed, she can't (or doesn't want to) fly long distances. It's more of a far hop. I'm guessing it's due to her heavy abdomen because I just fed her.
Thanks for the responses and test. I'll give it a go carefully and see how they do. :)

Latest posts