Adult female

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
Hi guys. I found an adult female recently. I saw her first when I post about my ooth, but I went back today (what a shock it was to see how much it changed in a few days!) and she was still there but moved into a feeding pose... I caught her and feed her a cricket witch she ate very quickly. My question is if you guys think I should let the Chinese mantis go.

Ugh! I'm so sorry mods, I forgot witch section I was in! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you should keep it, not because of the fact you're taking it from the wild, but because it is very late in the year for adults still to be around, and it will probably die very soon.

As long as you can take care of her and give her a good house with room which she is used to, sure. She will not last long in the cold weather and with u may have a safer and better life.

With her food source diminishing every day if the cold and starvation dont end her prematurely she will probably end up being ripped apart by a sparrow. That said at least in your care she will die warm with a full belly, and you will get to witness the final stage in keeping a mantis through maturity. It is saddening, but dont let it discourage you. It happens to all of them, and that is something you will need to get used to. The sooner the better.

With her food source diminishing every day if the cold and starvation dont end her prematurely she will probably end up being ripped apart by a sparrow. That said at least in your care she will die warm with a full belly, and you will get to witness the final stage in keeping a mantis through maturity. It is saddening, but dont let it discourage you. It happens to all of them, and that is something you will need to get used to. The sooner the better.
I second this! Well said.

okay, thats good. She seems happy and has eaten a spider and cricket yesterday so I better start hunting for more! I will post a few pics of the girl when I can. Also is it likely she will lay another ooth (she laid a few in the wild) if I feed her well?

Latest posts