Adult male not eating?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, after 3.5 weeks he has eaten, I'm really surprised he didn't die or anything. Meanhwile the female eats about 4 bottle flies a day and they have mated already, only 1 week into her adulthood :D  excited for babies :D  well I still have to wait a couple months for that :p

Glad he finally took food! :)  I can imagine those were a very stressful few weeks for you. 

Sounds like he is fine then, and just likes to go without food for a bit longer. Glad to hear he was just stubborn. ;) Don't be surprised if he repeats the behavior as they tend to go longer between feedings as they age too.

Yeah I'm really relieved that he continues to live. Meanwhil he has been mating with the female for like the past 34 hours. Really weird most of the time he's just sitting on top of her abdomen lose. The female doesn't really seems to have a problem with him riding her back :p

Sounds like your female is really easy going to give free rides. The male sounds like he is afraid to jump off though, as that is the most common moment for cannibalism to occur; however, the longer he stays there the more likely she is to get impatient and simply reach around and eat him.

If he is already mated he is just holding on for "dear life", in which case you should separate them. The most common way is to lightly grasp both the male with one hand and the female with the other by their thorax, which is often enough for the male to let go, if not pull very lightly. I find placing a index card between them and using a stick under the male to slowly/carefully pry him off the easiest - just keep sliding the card in with your hand as each leg releases.

Thanks for the help, they are now walking around again seperated, and it seems like the male really has his appetite back, he just finished his 4th fly for today, I'm gonna take away the food for now so he doesn't over eat himself, I heard of some cases where they burst because they are not used to food anymore... 

Latest posts