Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

Curiosity

Reaction score
I know that you can make it take longer for a nymph to reach adulthood by messing around with its environment, how often it's fed, etc. (As I've said before, I've learned remarkably little in 5 years. . .) If you do this, does it extend their lifespan or just make it so that a larger percentage of their life is spent as a nymph?

Orin

Reaction score
I know that you can make it take longer for a nymph to reach adulthood by messing around with its environment, how often it's fed, etc. (As I've said before, I've learned remarkably little in 5 years. . .) If you do this, does it extend their lifespan or just make it so that a larger percentage of their life is spent as a nymph?
It extends their lifespan, possibly greatly but only by the length of time they are nymphs.

Let's say a mantis species normally takes 3 months to reach maturity and adults live 4 months. If you extend the nymph time to 10 months they live a total of 14 months. Of course if you aren't careful you just kill them in month 2 and you've greatly shortened the lifespan.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It extends their lifespan, possibly greatly but only by the length of time they are nymphs.
Just so I understand:  lifespan becomes fixed once they hit adulthood and metabolism can't be manipulated by controlled feeding & lower temps?