Aggressive Mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielMTLe

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have an adult female dessicata that just molted yesterday. She seems very aggressive though. I was wondering if this is just usual for female dessicatas in general or what.

I also have 2 female adult lobatas that very relaxed and don't mind handling at all.

That got me to thinking... are there mantids that are generally more aggressive than others? Or is it more of on an individual basis?

aggressive behavior varies more from species to species, but ive seen individuals have thier own levels especially adults and older nymphs. Had 2 adult lobata recently and one would easly go agro and put up deffence but my other hardly got agitated at all and more lax over all. Ive also seen wahlis act the same between individuals

I find the deroplatys, stagmomantis, creobroter, and hierodula are very aggressive towards everything

popa, brunneria, odontomantis, and sybilla seem more passive

Last edited by a moderator:
My big Hierodula majuscula girl is very aggressive. She is always pissed off unless she is eatting haha

The female subadult/adult D. Lobatas I have don't seem to mind being handled at all. One of them insists crawling towards my face, I'm not sure what she finds so interesting there lol! The males seem skittish and will fly away in my case.

Rhombodera Stalii females are the most aggressive I've kept.
Well I've got 5 of them haha.. Pretty aggressive at L6.. Can't imagine adult lol
My L7 female is still very calm. She sits on my hand and eats honey. I could imagine this changing when she's an an adult eating machine. My other smaller nymphs are calm too. They all are very aggressive eaters!

My stalli's are pretty calm, they won't mind being handled, though if startled, they will run extremely fast and jump like grasshoppers. I wonder if their temperament will change as they reach adult.

I've been pinched by angry tenoderas and stagmomantises.

The few different species I've had seem to all step right up onto my hand, take food from me, just generally be very interactive... Even the males. It seems in my limited experience that they are just like any other animal or human... Some are more aggressive or passive than another within a species.

I have not yet had any of the definite aggressive species yet but would love to at some point.

I've had so major bad luck when it comes to aggressive mantises. I keep sticking other insects in their cage so they will have friends, but they keep killing and eathing them. =(