alcaholic mantis !

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you really think about it beer is mostly water, but one has to think the alcohol i would think is toxic to them like most animals.

A little beer won't hurt! :) I remember watching a nature show where some honey bees were getting trashed off of peoples left over fruity mixed drinks, that were thrown in the trash. The sugar would attract them, and they would drink till drunk! If they actually made it back to the hive, they would get kicked out until they got sober. :lol: I wish i could remember the name of the show?

A little beer won't hurt! :) I remember watching a nature show where some honey bees were getting trashed off of peoples left over fruity mixed drinks, that were thrown in the trash. The sugar would attract them, and they would drink till drunk! If they actually made it back to the hive, they would get kicked out until they got sober. :lol: I wish i could remember the name of the show?
It's like a honey bee drunk tank! Even bees have enough sense to kick out the annoying drunk guy! :lol: BWAHAHA

I don't guess they have the same insides as we do ie... liver, kidneys, but alcohol is a poison, the first drink starts to cause damage and each additional drink adds to it, also affects the brain, but I find that not a problem, as most heavy drinkers don't have one :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Peter has been hitting the bottle a bit today.... :lol:

:surrender: I can't believe that video was a thread-killer! I thought it would generate more discussion. Oh well--I'm going to go watch it one more time! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my boyfriend blew some pot smoke on my mantis and he launched himself towards me from two feet away, something he never did before and hasn't since. No more marijuana for him!

Startled the heck out me!

There are a number of types of flower nectar that get bees drunk.

I guess the mantid is drinking the beer as water. Try giving it water on your fingers. It is possible that mantids don't sense a cleanliness of water that they drink.

I wouldn't suppose it is very good for the mantid. They have systems that are fairly analogous to our own. I wouldn't guess the effect it has, but I would bet it does something.

And etoh does them in pretty fast, unlike pillbugs that can take quite some time to die in alcohol.