All of a sudden..

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keolablue

Reaction score
Just now, I found a pretty brown female outside.. And just for the heck of it, I introduced my smaller green male.. And presto! LOL

My question is.. Are they even the same species? I think that the green dude is Chinese.. I don't know..

So do you think I'll have any luck?

They haven't stopped yet, so do you have any quick newbie advice like... how long will this take? How I can protect Mr. Dude?

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

US, Southern California..

They're bad pictures- I took them asap..

She took some dog food from me and she's eating it.. Do you think she still might attack..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Males definitely european, can you take an underside shot of the female, she's either limbata, s califorinica, or european. Def not chinese, if you can get an under shot that'd be fantastic :)

So if they're a different species, is this mating pointless?

They can't make little hybrids?

hahaa

So if they're a different species, is this mating pointless?They can't make little hybrids?

hahaa
No, no hybrids! But for once I not going to give the S. limbata vote and say that the happy couple are both European mantids, [iris oratorio. I think that leminwinks, like me, would like to see the female's underside to see if there is a red spot on the next to last abdominal segment] I'm leaving this nonsense intact to show what can happen to you when you get old., if you don't take yr medication regularly. The European mantis is still, as it has always been, Mantis religiosa, and it has no red spots on its abdomen! :D

No, no hybrids! But for once I not going to give the S. limbata vote and say that the happy couple are both European mantids, Iris oratorio. I think that leminwinks, like me, would like to see the female's underside to see if there is a red spot on the next to last abdominal segment. If so, she's European for sure!
It's too dark in my room to take photos now.. I'll try to take some in the morning.

But I just looked and I don't see any red spots...

Oh, so she is European?For anyone who disagrees, I just want to know if they're the same. haha
Neither of those are European or chinese. They appear to be stagmomantis and do appear to be the same species.

The markings on the females front legs are strange though.

Males definitely european, can you take an underside shot of the female, she's either limbata, s califorinica, or european. Def not chinese, if you can get an under shot that'd be fantastic :) Edit: I meant a shot in between the arms to see the black eyespot/white thingy

Males definitely european, can you take an underside shot of the female, she's either limbata, s califorinica, or european. Def not chinese, if you can get an under shot that'd be fantastic :)
I do not believe either of those are european. Stagmomantis.

You're probably right Rick but conformation is always nice :) to me it doesn't look like a stag Carolina or cali, but j haven't seen many so I'm probably wrong.
I am 110% the female is stagmomantis assuming it is wild caught in the US. THe male appears the same. I know they are not european, they look nothing like them.

They finally separated now. lol.

Hope these photos are good enough..

Mr. Dude got away unharmed. He really ran. It was funny.

IMG_5553.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

They are one of the stagmomantis species. What is your location? The female looks like s. limbata but the black marks on the front legs are new to me.

none of my limbata females had wings that long, they all ended about half way, the male looks just like my last S limbata, the female(if i had to guess) is no limbata just because her wings are extremely long.

Latest posts