All of a sudden..

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more *possible* differentiator...I've noticed that the adult S. limbata have blue labrum "upper lip" mouthpart. Can anyone else check their carolinas for the blue lip?

One more *possible* differentiator...I've noticed that the adult S. limbata have blue labrum "upper lip" mouthpart. Can anyone else check their carolinas for the blue lip?
Yeah. I've seen that on S. limbata, too.

Keolablue: Would you tell us where you live, luv? It is very important when identifying insects. If you live in CA, there is a chance that it is S. californica. The females of this species do have stripes on their raptorial arms in some color morphs, including brown. I would also point out that the length of the female's wings is not a guaranteed indicator of species. There is a strain of S. limbata in this area in which the females' wings extend almost to the tip of the abdomen. I have one currently, so the wing length in the female does not rule out a Stagmomantis species.

Ain't this fun?

Seems like the easiest way to make a definite identification is for keolablue to just lift up the girl's skirt and check what color her underwear is. ;)

Black = californica.

It appears in some pics that s. limbata has the wing spot too.

It appears in some pics that s. limbata has the wing spot too.
If you were referring to an s. limbata with a black wing spot on the outer wing, can you show me a picture of it (or lead me to where I can find it)? If you were talking about something else, then nevermind.

Seventh pic in the link posted earlier. The spot is white though which may be another difference. http://tolweb.org/images/Stagmomantis/12786
Yeah that's true. But I'm making the assumption that those with a black speck are carolinas because from what I see so far, carolina's that are brown to green to what ever color will still have the black speck. This doesn't appear to be the case for limbatas. If the speck isn't black (and I mean a good portion the the speck), then it's a limbata to me. If it gets too confusing there, then I go to my other method - the more circular abdomen when viewed from above/below will be the limbata.

Yeah that's true. But I'm making the assumption that those with a black speck are carolinas because from what I see so far, carolina's that are brown to green to what ever color will still have the black speck. This doesn't appear to be the case for limbatas. If the speck isn't black (and I mean a good portion the the speck), then it's a limbata to me. If it gets too confusing there, then I go to my other method - the more circular abdomen when viewed from above/below will be the limbata.
I've had limbata with no speck. I dont' think the shape of the abdomen from above would be reliable since the size of it could distort the shape.

I've had limbata with no speck. I dont' think the shape of the abdomen from above would be reliable since the size of it could distort the shape.
A limbata with no speck at all? Interesting. About the shape of the abdomen, it was something I made up when I was dealing with the limbatas because that's what I saw in comparison to other mantids (the more rounded abdomen is also seen in the reflection in one of the pictures in this topic). I'm aware that there are variations within the limbatas as well as any other mantid species and so I still need more experience with them to learn the variations they can have.

I think I know what it is. :D I have been doing some internet browsing trying to figure it out and I believe that it is a Stagmomantis, californica. Check this link out (3 pics), I know the wings are shorter, but look at the coloration of the wings, the coloration of the arms etc. We know that wing size can vary amongst mantids (my Creobroter, nebulosa males' wings varied a lot) so that may not be a vital identification mark. Let me know what you guys think, but it is the closest thing I've found.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/84658

Edit: Found another pic (still has short wings, but the coloration is the same)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...t%3D18%26um%3D1
This looks just like her. She is likely a California girl. The armbands and dark legs that she has could probably be excused as a variation..

Don't worry, I have been feeding Miss California whatever I can find. She's a pig.

So my green male is limbata, correct?

So if both male and female are at least 'stagomantis'.. will I be expecting an ooth?

prob not or if you get one its going to be dol

dol=dead ooth laid!

meaning not fertile

This looks just like her. She is likely a California girl. The armbands and dark legs that she has could probably be excused as a variation..Don't worry, I have been feeding Miss California whatever I can find. She's a pig.

So my green male is limbata, correct?

So if both male and female are at least 'stagomantis'.. will I be expecting an ooth?
Er...I think those are mis-identified in those two pics...but regardless, If you check her hind-wings and they are yellow/clear speckled...then she should be limbata.

Keep feeding and misting her and I'll bet that you'll have a fertile ooth in a few weeks.

This is a limbata I had that looks just like yours:

3402316805_5b2c4f15a2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Update!

Shortly after this mating, I found a green female! She was a bit more ferocious so the male got his head ripped off despite my efforts. Then his little body subsequently began to mate with her. It was creepy.

The brown (apparently still unidentified) female is laying an ooth right now. I'm excited. Hehhee

It is white/gray... Here's a pic. I'll take more later..

(Might the ooth finally solve the mystery of the species?)

IMG_5713-2.jpg

So it is true that females die shortly after laying an ooth? What can I expect?

Update! Shortly after this mating, I found a green female! She was a bit more ferocious so the male got his head ripped off despite my efforts. Then his little body subsequently began to mate with her. It was creepy.

The brown (apparently still unidentified) female is laying an ooth right now. I'm excited. Hehhee

It is white/gray... Here's a pic. I'll take more later..

(Might the ooth finally solve the mystery of the species?)

So it is true that females die shortly after laying an ooth? What can I expect?
Pretty sure that they are all limbatas. A picture of the finished ooth would also help confirm. But if you want to be 100% certain, the female will be limbata if she does not have black markings on her back between the segments and dark purple-red hind wings. If they are yellow speckled or yellow speckled with a brown border on the yellow detail, that is also limbata.

Congrats on the ooth. If you keep it inside, you'll have hatchlings in about 8-9 weeks depending on the temp in your house. Make sure you have the space and food for them.

And don't worry about her dying just yet. :lol: Keep her well fed and you should have another ooth in about a month. :)

That ooth definitely looks limbata, and in the second shot above, I can see her blue 'lip' labum.

And I think it's good to feed after they lay. They can often eat a few in a row if you let them.

Congrats!

Edit: Just don't leave crix in with a fresh ooth!

Hey guys! It's been a few months I guess- point is, one of my ooths has hatched. I only got around 50 or so little guys.

Anyway, just proving that this mating worked so they must have been the same species. The nymphs are both green and brown- so cute!

Well I put them outside my window where the aphids used to be, but I've found that all of the aphids are dead.. And it's getting colder out, with the low being like 55 degrees.. Will they be ok?

They're on the leaves of my tree right outside of my window (2nd story). I was thinking of putting something on the leaves to attract small flies.. And it's a grapefruit tree anyway, so maybe fruit flies could collect anyway if I cut open some fruit..

18171_241155138090_572038090_325121.jpg

Latest posts