Almost tae longest playa in da traencaes...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not remember, too. But I can have a look at the miracle-book: Ehrmann 2002 "MANTODEA Gottesanbeterinnen der Welt" will help us again:

It says, just like surfistic already pointed out, that out of the eleven "valid" species (normally, Christian knows much better what is still valid and what is questionable nowadays than what was known back in 2002), the species originated in Tanzania are:

H. orinetalis

H. reticulata

H. zavattarii

In contrast, H. occidentalis is located in Botswana, Kenia, Namibia and the "Cape-?rovince" while I am not sure these names of the states are correct "or still valid" :) I will check where IGM No 173 is from, but it seems it cannot be from Tanzania.

Also, I am pretty sure that if some scientists would investigate the surrounding neighbour-contries of the countries known as a habitat for a special Heterochaeta species, some new locality records would maybe be established very soon.

edit: Christian was quicker, I was too lazy writing this post. So now it is off-topic.

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
The locality "Kenya" for H. occidentalis is probably erroneous. This species occurs only in SW-Africa. There were no taxonomic changes since 2002. In fact, most of the info in Ehrmann originates from an exhaustive 1977 paper by Roy. No other species was described since then, which is not really a surprise considering the quality of the paper and the size and the vast distribution of the mantids of this genus. Some species are still known by one sex only though.

@Sufistic: Heterochaeta is somewhat related to the Toxoderids; morphological and genetical data are still somewhat contradictory though.
I see, very interesting. They do look very similar especially with regards to the head and raptorial legs.

Hi,

I compiled the numbers for these species for the IGM list: IGM numbers

There are two stocks of Heterochaeta in the list:

IGM 173 from Namibia identified as Heterochaeta occidentalis (the one Christian and others have) and

IGM 180 from Tanzania at the moment just identified as Heterochaeta sp. (the one Kruszakus and others have).

The use of the numbers might be helpful and could prevent from mixing the two stocks... especially if one is occidentalis and the other will be identified as orientalis...

Often the scientific names are not read and spelled accurately and a mixing is predicable.

Then how do we mark this stock? I would not want people to mix up those two completely different strains of Heterochaeta. Who knows what would have happened - I would not want to see a new species burst onto the scene, and disappear just as fast, because of the inbreeding type thing.

sorry to hear you are giving up on Empusa.
It's just too annoying, when you provide all the right conditions, and all you see is a bunch of sexually shy males, and hard to get females. I'm done with Empusidae, screw that.

Wanted to add some pics of a sub-adult Heterochaeta, but this new, improved software made it so "easy", that I gave up. Not my loss.

@ Krusz, it's the same way to do it as before...?
I have adult Heterochaeta now - almost 6 inches long, huge beasts... but to insert the pictures from the site I've been using to upload my photos is a no-can-do. I dunno what the heck is going on. Apparently, that site is being blocked by some filter.

Gimme a clue what do do, 'cause I ain't got none.

Latest posts