Am I looking at black death here?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerHobo

Reaction score
Just found one of my ghost nymphs surrounded by some unhealthy looking liquid on the side of its container. Am I looking at black death here? Anything to be done?

6237_AEC8_D8_F2_4_D7_B_811_F_1_DDECB30_ED0_A.jpg

Looks like vomit to me. I've heard this can happen due to anything from bacteria and dehydration to being fed bad feeders. The only thing I've heard that may help is trying to feed a  bit of water diluted honey for its antibacterial purposes and to give it a little boost after loosing all those nutrients and a little extra water to try to keep it from being dehydrated. I'll be honest I've never had this happen to any of mine tho so maybe someone else has a better idea and personal experience. 

Based on what I’ve read, if it is Black Death or an infection, the vomit will smell really bad. So if you can, try to catch a whiff.

I don’t think it’s too uncommon for mantids to vomit occasionally without any infections or illnesses.

keep on the lookout for other symptoms, like lethargy and trouble walking/climbing, and definitely offer 100% raw honey and water. Also check your feeders. Crickets are the main carriers of these symptoms, so make sure that if you have any, they’re kept in healthy conditions.

Some mantids create these stains without any signs of illness. I have an adult Sphodromantis aurea which had constantly made these stains on his enclosure ever since he was an L2. He shows no signs of illness and the stains have no foul odor. He's never been served a cricket. 

I wash his container frequently and I don't handle him without washing my hands thoroughly before handling others just to be on the safe side.

Hope your ghost is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback, all. This nymph is the one that had it's leg forcibly removed by its broodmate, so if one is going to go, I'm sure it's this one. I'll try to get a whiff of it and see if there's an odor or not. Otherwise all of my nymphs are eating from the same culture of fruit flies. I stopped feeding crickets after my last unexplained death, just in case.

I would try the honey diluted in water because it will give him extra energy and help fight off any infection.

- MantisGirl13

I had a bunch of ghost at ate too much and vomited. My Violins did this too when they were younger. They all grew into adulthood just fine. Just give them time and see how they do.

Latest posts